Mid-levels? A nice place to live?

Mid-levels? A nice place to live?

I'm thinking about getting a flat in the mid levels around robinson road. Anyone know the pros and cons of the area? Thanks

Central, convenient, good taxis, can be close to the escalator and 2 supermarkets depending where your apartment is. More expensive than living further out or even further down and a good distance from the MTR. As per the standard advice on this website - go with a few weeks in a serviced apartment first and check out the real estate agents on Robinson & Caine Roads for properties in the area to make your selection. Heaps of places available all the time in a huge range of prices - you just need to find the one that is right for you.

Red face

Definitely an excellent choice. I am here. So as my friends.

GOOD:
    1. Restaurantsssssssss
    2. Barssssssssssssssss
    3. Taxis
    4. 10-15 minute walk to Central MTR station
    5. Escalator of course
    6. People around are decent
    7. Safe

BAD:
    1. Cockroaches on the streets
    2. Drunk people sometimes
    3. Walk, walk, walk
    4. You don't feel like going home when you go home
    5. Food around is expensive
    6. No parking around
    7. A lot of empty taxis who like to honk at 4am during weekends

'4. You don't feel like going home when you go home'

What do you mean by this?

It is much more expensive than renting in a high rise and not convenient unless you don't mind getting taxis on a regular basis. If you can afford the rents go for it; keeps you from the riff raff that I have to live with.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    It is much more expensive than renting in a high rise and not convenient unless you don't mind getting taxis on a regular basis. If you can afford the rents go for it; keeps you from the riff raff that I have to live with.
    Is there anything but high-rises??

It's a few minutes away from the MTR, but there's a huge number of buses and mini-buses going all over (around my area anyway - Caine/Bonham/Park Rd). I only ever get taxis for the same reasons I would anywhere else - generally laziness!

"Not convenient" depends on what you want to be near to. I love being within walking distance (8 months of the year anyway) of work in Central, bars, restaurants, LKF and so on.

I suppose it's down to personal preferences. I lived on Conduit Rd during a time when I was working inbetween Wanchai and Causeway Bay and partied in TST/LKF. Every journey was a pain. Buses were often full by the time I got on them in the morning but that was probably because I didn't walk back along the bus route to get on earlier :-). Don't get me wrong and as I said I would live there if I could justify the cost.

buses are ok from bonham road area but according to the agents by the time the buses reach the elevator region its usually pack.

and it depends on whether u are alone or not. singles are fine on midlevel. adults are fine. but if you have kids or especially baby, its tough! not accessible not baby friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by animalmom:
    '4. You don't feel like going home when you go home'

What do you mean by this?

Haha. I meant if you took the escalator home in the Soho region, sometimes you thought you were going to a bar like everyone else. I like it though! Sometimes I would tell my friends to go ahead, I just need to change into my party clothes and drop down my work-luggage. Ha.

I live in the Mid-Levels...love it, but I hate the pollution and the population density. I grew up in a much quieter part of HK...