Townhouses?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

You can get a house in discovery bay for around 15, if it hasn't been recently renovated. There are houses available in different locations, as a rule of thum the longer the commuting time the cheaper it gets. Check it out here www.gohome.hk

the prices i quoted were for discover bay... there are NO houses in Db for $15k...

i did mention sai jung, tai po, sha tin... but not prices in those areas... i believe that i also said it would be cheaper....

Quote Originally Posted by panda05
    That should be http://www.gohome.com.hk/english/home.asp?

More options ...

If you're on a budget, take a look at Lamma Island as well; there are regular ferry services to Central and the village houses there are cheaper then those in Discovery Bay on Lantau.

Virtually all detached homes on Hong Kong island are considered luxury residential and are among the priciest pieces of real estate you'll find here. If money is no issue, take a look at the Peak, Repulse Bay, Stanley, Tai Tam and other upscale neighborhoods. Shek O in the far South East of HK island offers more reasonably priced homes but you'll probably need a car if you work in Central, you'd get tired of commuting by bus / minibus fairly quickly.

Last edited by texasaxel; 03-08-2006 at 11:12 AM.

in and around yuen long and tuen mun area you can get these 3 floor village houses even for around HKD 4000 per floor, depending on the vincinity to bus, LRT or even stations of the KCR west rail.

so in total you could get around 2100 sqft. with three balconies, a rooftop and sometimes a tiny outside area around the house for around HKD 12-15K. but don't expect the three floors of such village houses to be interconnected like a typical western house. most landlords are building these houses as three seperated flats with a (covered) staircase and lockable doors for each unit to maximize their rental income.

but that's really rural out there (you're pretty much lost without english) and commuting times may take more than 1 hour to central. but if you've got a car, then a parking space can be rented for a quite affordable with maybe around HKD 150-300 a month already. so most of the local ones living there can even finance a car for the savings in comparison to getting a flat with comparable size in the kowloon or central area.

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

I will work in Central, I'm in banking and would rather not spend more than 50k/month.

Rents in London are insane as well (I miss NYC! prices) Currently paying around 50k equivalent in London (Kensington) and would rather not pay more though it appears HK is loads cheaper than london for basic necesities like food/transport etc.

I am pretty set on living on HK Island (I want a short commute). My mates tell me taxis are dirt cheap in HK (they are massively expensive in UK) so living on hte south side shouldnt be too bad?

I was in HK in the early 90s in the Navy and remember it being fairly big but I was riding buses eevrythwere.

please be brutally critical of any mistakes in assumptions I make. Any advice (specific too) is appreciated.

Thanks.

Assuming you are in IFC then the commute from Discovery Bay would probably be shorter than that from the southside - at least it would be reliable on the ferry whereas the traffic jams are unpredictable.

HK$50K per month would get you something reasonable, but might still be a bit tight for a standalone house on HK Island. I know people living in apartments costing a lot more than that.

and you can easily get a stand alone house 1300' or so, waterfront, with garden for uner $50k/month

'and you can easily get a stand alone house 1300' or so, waterfront, with garden for uner $50k/month'

Sounds nice - where?

Assuming I don't go the town(house) route - where would be the best place to get a nice flat - can I get one with a private terrace?

Discovery Bay is what i described... the ones that i'm thinking of are completely stand alone and a 3 minute walk from the ferry/plaza....

if you check out any of the property websites... the area in DB is called La Costa.....they are running around $40k inclusive right now

if you wanted one that had shared walls with another house, then you could probably get 1800'-2500' for about $50k. these too would all have gardens...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast