Townhouses?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Townhouses?

Can someone reccomend areas with townhouses? I will be working in central and prefer a little house - i have a mews house in the UK and like it.

Dreading the thought of living in a flat.

What's your budget?

do you have any concept of the cost of flats in hk...never mind a HOUSE!!!!

the only way it can be remotely affordable to most people not wanting to spend the equivilent of a small nation's yearly GDP on a MONTH of RENT here is if you head out of the city and head to the outlying islands or maybe to the new territories such as sai kung, tai po, sha tin, or the such...

to give you an idea...

Discovery Bay is MUCH cheaper than pretty much anywhere on HK island...
    for a detatched house here...1300', you're looking at a minimum of $40,000-$50,000

this can go up to 5000' at around $120,000

remember these prices are PER MONTH....

i can only say, i hope that you have a really nice housing allowance!

good luck with your search!

ps... i hope that didn't come across as a snotty response... it wasn't meant to be one...

Sounded more like a condemnation of the HK housing market to me. Which begs an interesting question--if expats didn't have large housing allowances, would the landlords still be able to charge those prices?

Animalmom--If you headed to the NT, you could probably double the Discovery Bay house for the same price.

well, i've never had the luxury of any housing allowance... so i must admit, i get a little off put by the questions like... can i get anything decent for ONLY $60,000/month?

we had that question here a couple of weeks ago....

deleteduser

You guys realise this person is talking about a townhouse, and not an actual detached house, right? You can get into a townhouse (often called "village house" or "village home") for dirt cheap, and have quite a bit of square footage too. You won't be anywhere near Central though.

So you have to decide: do you want to commute and have a roomy home? Or live close to work, but have a small apartment?

yes... i did mention village houses... just not by name...

deleteduser

$50K per month, I don't know what kind of village homes you're referring to. You should be able to find some in the 1000+ sq.ft range out in NT for the price of a small apartment in Kowloon or the island. Remember not everyone is an expat, even though we all come here

A 2100 sq. ft. village house (that is three floors each with 700 sq.ft plus roof area) would set you back HK$20-25K per month in and around Sai Kung area - thats about 45-60 mins travel to central.

If thats too big/expensive, a few rare village houses have a smaller footprint, around 350 sq ft, so all three floors total 1050 sq ft. and the cost would be lower.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast