Like Tree1Likes

Fist time to HK : Young couple need accomodation guidance

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    I believe most people will chose the MTR - I know generally I do. There will always be exceptions to every rule, but this is just my opinion.
    I think you just proved PDLM's point. It's just your opinion.

The point of my original post on buses was in fact to alert the OP to the existance of the bus system. I surmised from his original post, and from his comment in another, that he did not know that the HK bus system is so extensive and was extrapolating from experience in other cities (perhaps London, Paris, Tokyo or New York?) that the 'metro' is the only viable public transport option. Which is just not true in HK, but was my initial opinion BEFORE I MOVED HERE and discovered it was false. Since we are trying to help someone who has yet to move, it seemed a valid piece of additional information for him to digest.

Some people might prefer to live in an apartment complex just above the MTR with a shopping mall, supermarket, cinema et... and be in crowds all the time. Others might prefer to live on a beach and take a bus and ferry and avoid the big crowds.

Personal choice...

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    I think you just proved PDLM's point. It's just your opinion.
    Of course it is my opinion. The fact is self-evident. Care to point out sea water is salty and wet too?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff:
    Of course it is my opinion. The fact is self-evident. Care to point out sea water is salty and wet too?
    Sea water is wet and salty.

And most of your opinions are too.

Some really interesting responses but they are all in good spirit. Thanks. I personally prefer/like Metro over buses but like some one said, it is just a personal choice and opinion.

Btw, is it mandatory in HK to use an agent/broker to find apartments? I am pretty good with Craigslist in the US and would like to use it in HK as well.

It is not mandatory to use an agent, though most apartments are shown by agents rather than direct by the landlord. However, you can definitely find accommodation offered without agent.

There are some direct rentals by owners on websites and what I've done on a couple of occasions is talked to the security guards of buildings I liked and they managed to hook me up directly to the owner but they usually refer you to agents and that's definitely the more common approach of renting. They take a commission of half a month's rental from you and the owner so don't expect them to be working for you or entirely truthful when you negotiate. That being said, they can also be very helpful and I've had them find free furniture for me on a couple of occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by US2HongKong:
    Btw, is it mandatory in HK to use an agent/broker to find apartments? I am pretty good with Craigslist in the US and would like to use it in HK as well.
    You will SERIOUSLY limit your options if you stick to craig's list; plus there are quite a few 'scam flats' on there too. There are a few other online options, but honestly, online is NOT how most people find accommodation in HK (a few do, but most not). As it happens, I found my boat online, but most other people I know used an agent.

As some people have pointed out the MTR gets incredibly crowded at rush hour, the same applies to all other forms of transport.

As you have a bank job, what time will you be starting work and finishing? What you may find is that ironically the closer you live to the office, the harder it is to commute as you can't physically fit on the Bus/MTR nor find a taxi for love or money. I have some friends how live on the far end of my street (1km) who have no problems catching the bus, whereas my best hope is a sweat inducing walk at the same time.

Mid-Levels is doable, but not easy to find, at your price if you are willing to live in an older building without the facilities.