Initial temporary accommodation - Serviced Apartments for $10-15k possible?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Initial temporary accommodation - Serviced Apartments for $10-15k possible?

Hello geoexpatters,

I am new to the forum but have been reading the threads here for the last few months. I will be moving over to work in HK in a few weeks (can't wait!) and am looking for initial temporary accommodation to get me through the first 1-2 months while I find some where to rent for 12-18 months.

I understand that it is ridiculous to sign a rental contract (12 months+) before physically inspecting the apartment, so that is why I want to find a serviced apartment to stay in for the first 2 months.

My budget is 10-15k per month and at this point it will only be for myself, so the small space will not be an issue.

Ideally I would like to find a serviced apartment on HK Island, anywhere from Tin Hau through to Tai Koo would be ideal as this will be very convenient to get to work in Central.

Is 10-15k a realistic budget to find a serviced apartment that would fit my criteria?

Could you please suggest some websites that I can look at for serviced apartments? Is it possible to finalise the deal (for a serviced apartment) before I arrive in HK so I wont have to stay in a hotel?

Finally, are there any tips or advice in terms of looking for a temporary serviced apartment as well as a longer term rental apartment? I will do all the research once I get some links as the ones I have found so far are more for rental apartments rather than serviced apartments.

My partner will also be relocating to HK as well but this might be a month or two after I arrive in HK, so it makes even more sense to hold off on finding an apartment to rent for the next 12-18 months.

Thanks very much

There is a section right here on Geoexpat.com:

Hong Kong Serviced Apartments - Hong Kong Directory

I can tell you for sure that the budget will be fine in Kowloon or a bit further out. Not sure about HK Island. But since you are alone a tiny place will normally do.

Last edited by 100LL; 25-07-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 100LL:
    There is a section right here on Geoexpat.com:

Hong Kong Serviced Apartments - Hong Kong Directory

I can tell you for sure that the budget will be fine in Kowloon or a bit further out. Not sure about HK Island. But since you are alone a tiny place will normally do.
    Thanks for the reply 100LL.

I have looked at the link you provided but most of the serviced apartments are above my 10-15k budget.

Definitely looking at a small unit since I'll be on my own initially.

Does anyone have other links to serviced apartments in my budget (10-15k) for 1-2 months?

Would it be possible to rent a furnished apartment for the first 2 months? This will be cheaper than serviced apartment, but would anyone lease to me for 2 months?

I thought all lease agreements have a minimum of 12/14 months?

Try also looking at the "At your service section" of the SCMP. There are quite a few advertising there, although I would imagine the space you get will be "cosy".

Not exactly where you wanted, but the last time I looked, the Royal View in Tsuen Wan had places circa 13k. It has a shuttlebus to TST and to Tsuen Wan and Tsing Yi MTR stations. Took me about 40 mins to get to my office in Admiralty when I stayed there.

If size is not an issue and you want to stay close to Central, check out ATRIA boutique studios . The units are right smack Soho/Central. Walk-ups though, but most are newly refurbished. The units tend to be booked out, so best to check early - the staff are very responsive over email too.

I don't know if Domus is having promotions currently, but their Tin Hau smaller property was within your budget during promotions last I checked in April. google for it?

Caveat on the rest here, I'd shortlisted them as backups before I came but never went to look at them nor dealt with the people - here goes:

Sheung Wan, the lower floor units: TreasureView - serviced apartments

Wan Chai:
    218 & 338 Apartment

there're others with promotions too - some of these seem to be companies/people who take out single properties and then run them like serviced apartments.

the harmonium: promotion

www.studiostudio.com.hk

Quote Originally Posted by fth:
    Try also looking at the "At your service section" of the SCMP. There are quite a few advertising there, although I would imagine the space you get will be "cosy".
    Thanks fth. I will look into the SCMP for that - I am assuming this is for renting out a room in an apartment (ie shared accommodation)?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Not exactly where you wanted, but the last time I looked, the Royal View in Tsuen Wan had places circa 13k. It has a shuttlebus to TST and to Tsuen Wan and Tsing Yi MTR stations. Took me about 40 mins to get to my office in Admiralty when I stayed there.
    Thanks MovingIn07 for the suggestion. Hopefully I'm not being unrealistic about finding a serviced apartment somewhere on HK Island with a $15k budget.

I would look at rental apartments too (on gohome) but the problem is most if not all rental apartments have a minimum 1 year contract.

I have found a number of serviced apartments that are around the 10k mark or below, but these are very very small - 200 sqft (!)

Beggars can't be choosers I suppose but I will continue searching...

Quote Originally Posted by anii:
    If size is not an issue and you want to stay close to Central, check out ATRIA boutique studios . The units are right smack Soho/Central. Walk-ups though, but most are newly refurbished. The units tend to be booked out, so best to check early - the staff are very responsive over email too.

I don't know if Domus is having promotions currently, but their Tin Hau smaller property was within your budget during promotions last I checked in April. google for it?

Caveat on the rest here, I'd shortlisted them as backups before I came but never went to look at them nor dealt with the people - here goes:

Sheung Wan, the lower floor units: TreasureView - serviced apartments

Wan Chai:
    218 & 338 Apartment

there're others with promotions too - some of these seem to be companies/people who take out single properties and then run them like serviced apartments.

the harmonium: promotion

www.studiostudio.com.hk
    Thanks anii. I noticed Atria too and have since emailed them on availability and pricing. Have you stayed there yourself? Any thoughts or feedback?

My concern with Atria is noise, it appears the units are on the 2nd or 3rd floors above street level and am worried I'll have trouble sleeping from outside noise

Domus' current promotion is 28k for one of their rooms, in Queens I think. Their cheapest one goes for around 16-17k so I have sent an email as well.

Just been reading a few bad reviews here from users on some of the more budget ones like cityloft, cozy, empire and if seems it is worth paying the extra $ for peace of mind

I am also looking at Regent Heights in CWB, they have one bedders from 10-13k. Anyone stayed at regent to share their experience/feedback?
    Posted via Mobile Device

^ I did not stay in the Atria one in the end, I was searching for a serviced apartment in the event I could not find a place to stay after my company paid service apartment stint ended, but I lucked out and found an apartment about within the week I arrived.

But through the whole search, the atria staff were very helpful and responsive (e.g. emails are replied same day or next day, they would offer alternatives if the original unit i wanted wasn't available), so I thought that's a good start - some other apartments I emailed never replied!

If you're choosing to stay Central, most of these places in HK would be noisier, so much depends on the construction and quality of the fittings in reducing noise.

-> shouldn't your company be putting you up in a serviced apartment vs. you finding it yourself?

-> SOHO Apartment (Hong Kong) <- Soho69 - I've stayed in the larger one BR unit before, at that time, it was about 25K HKD a month. I saw they have smaller units of about 380sqft, perhaps those could fall within your price range. Give them a call to check. It is along Hollywood Road, so would be a tad noisier, but the location's a good one for convenience.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast