Feedback on some compounds in Tiu Keng Leng

Closed Thread

Feedback on some compounds in Tiu Keng Leng

Hi,

I just arrived in HK yesterday and I am now visiting some apartments this week while staying in a friend's house.

Yesterday, I had a look at "MetroTown/Le Point" and Ocean Shore. I just walked in a real estate agency over there.

I must say the environment is really very nice (huge swimming pools, nice buildings, gym ...) but I was really disapointed by the sizes of the rooms in the apartments I visited. I'm new in HK so I not very familiar with sizes here but rooms %that% small ?? Master room about 80sq feet I guess and other rooms about 50-60..

I guess price is OK but the feeling I get is that all the money is going into paying the compound looks and the facilities which I think are 10x bigger and nicer than necessary. I feel it's like living in paradise but being stuck in a shoebox haha.

Does anyone have some feedback on this ? Did I get the wrong impression or something ?

Here are a few prices I got, not sure what to say since I just walked into the first agency I saw :

Ocean Shore :
    1 room 546 sq ft 11k
    2 rooms 687 sq ft 11.5K

Metro Town :
    2 rooms 638sq ft 12.5k
    3 rooms with storage room 943sq ft 17.5k

Did not see a single foreigner when I was there. I do get the impression some people on this forum live there though right ?

John

Last edited by Chacho; 25-07-2010 at 11:53 AM.

They're developments not compounds lol

Sizewise it's perfectly normal so you're going to have to put up with that or raise your budget.

The rest of the development like clubhouse etc is it's because it's expected and that's what the buyers want, A lot of it is all about who provides the better clubhouse and so forth.
    Posted via Mobile Device

welcome to hong kong! most people in hk would consider those sizes to be absolute luxury!

to give perspective: my local hubby grew up in gov't housing. they had 250' for 5 people! they considered themselves lucky as they got a "big" place because hubby's father was a civil servant.

MOST places in hk are small, UNLESS you want to pay 4X the price, that's about all you're going to get.

you could look at village houses. you'll get 700' but NO AMMENITIES.

Quote Originally Posted by Chacho:
    Did not see a single foreigner when I was there. I do get the impression some people on this forum live there though right ?

John
    Yes, foreigners do live there, too. Not too many though I guess. I find Tiu Keng Leng convenient as I work in Kwun Tong, and you can get quickly to HK island via the MTR, too.

Ocean Shores is IMO better than Metrotown, it's more open (as far as a housing estate in HK with 15 Towers goes) and I like the apartment layout better. As carang mentioned the apartment sizes are normal, always ask the agent for the net size (typically 20-30% smaller than the advertised gross size).

Note that you can probably get a 3-bedroom apartment at LOHAS Park for about the same price of a 2-bedroom at OS but be aware of the smell from the landfill right next to it and that the whole place will remain a construction site for at least another 7 years, there will be 50 (!) towers in total when it's finished and only those build last will keep their sea-view.

Quote Originally Posted by Raccon:

Ocean Shores is IMO better than Metrotown, it's more open (as far as a housing estate in HK with 15 Towers goes)
    I second that ; Ocean Shores is cleaner, and the clubhouse facilities are superior.

MetroTown has quicker access to the MTR station and the security is much more professional.

I have lived in both developments.

My suggestion if you are choosing between the two estates: select a flat in Ocean Shores with a South/SouthEasterly view, in Tower 1 through Tower 8.

good luck.
    Last edited by squid; 25-07-2010 at 06:55 PM.