Commute for CUHK?

Closed Thread

Question Commute for CUHK?

Hey everyone, long time listener, first time caller here.

I'm moving from Japan to HK next week for a position at CUHK. I've got a pretty healthy housing allowance and I'm looking around for apartments now.

Right now I'm thinking about either:
    1) Ma On Shan
    2) Shatin/Tai Wai/etc
    3) Hung Hom (Whampoa Gardens, etc)

A less than 30 minute commute would be great. And yet I would like to be able to make it to Central on the weekends and hopefully get back home via late night buses... I'm trying to find the optimum balance between these objectives. :-)

So based on that, I'd like to get some feedback in three areas:
    *Does anyone here work on or near the campus and commute? (KCR, bus, etc) what are your commute times like from where ever you ended up living?

*Also what is the 'hassle' factor like getting to campus? Is it super crowded on KCR in the mornings? (i'm teaching a Monday morning 8am lecture this semester, i'm worried).

*Anyone living in Ma On Shan and commuting to CUHK from there? Is this doable by bicycle? (likewise from Shatin area?)

Any experiences from people in this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

hi krf, in terms of getting to central, i think you're better off in hung hom. it is the closest out of the three locations, right across the harbor.

but getting to cuhk, shatin would most likely take the least time if you live nearby the kcr station. as for hung hom, you'd probably have to take the minibus from whampoa garden to the hung hom station, then the kcr and then the school shuttle bus. in terms of commuting to cuhk, i think you're good with any place that's nearby the kcr station.

on the other hand, if you're living in ma on shan, you would have to take the bus to go to the kcr station, which would take around 20 minutes. but from i gather, the bus schedule is not as frequent as it used to be because of the opening of the ma on shan railroad.

the trains are always crowded in the morning if going from the NT to Kowloon (westbound), but if you're going from hung hom or shatin to university, i think it should be okay. if not, there's always the first class compartment with seats available.

thanks

thanks for the info. especially about the rush hour.

i guess the other thing i need to add to that equation is the fact that you can get a bigger place the further out it is... (but then again, do I really need a 3 bedroom 1000+ sq foot place if I'm living by myself?)

One ace in the hole for Ma On Shan is the fact that they have free shuttles to the University KCR station from a lot of the units, in addition to the regular busses and rail connection, but selection may be limited...

Anyone else?

as a follow-up...

As a follow-up to my original post, for those who are considering Ma On Shan for CU commuting.

I just got a mountain bike, its about 20-25 minutes from Ma On Shan to the center of the CU campus (about 12 minutes to the University KCR station). but the hill is KILLER...

(i'm guessing i will be super buff in no time if i try to tackle this 3 or 4 times a week).

Going back is much quicker, about 15-20 minutes, depending on how crazy you want to go on the way down the hill.

The bike path along Tolo harbor is really nice, no need to fear crossing any busy roads, etc. the only problem is the people wandering about in the bike path not paying attention. I almost killed a dog who was off leash with its idiot owners on saturday...

Anyway, so anywhere along the Ma On Shan rail system should be within 10-15 minutes ride of the university KCR station. pretty much the same time as the bus.

Chinese Un

Hung Hom Station-Chinese University KCR: ~45 Minutes, Train are not Pack in the morning between 7H30-9H10 ((9h10 for the HangOver Days..), I do take the line for 4 years and always have a seat, even after they did open Tst East Station.

Whaompa is a nice place to live but difficult to get out in the morning rush hours, even by taxi, Mini Bus are Pack & Taxi Really improbable. Choose a place with a Shuttle bus or at walking distance from the KCR station :-)

I think you can consider any place on the KCR Line: Hung Hom, MongKok, KLT, Tai Wai, Shatin, Taipo...
    Really depend what kind of live you plan to have: if you want to go out every nigth Better to be in Hung Hom or even Central, If you do prefer nature, Quiet, Ma On Shan, Taipo are nice...

For Info:
    Taxi price From Central to Shatin is auround 300Hk$
    Taxi price from Central to Whampoa auround 80 Hk$ (You need to Choose a Kowllon Taxi)
    Taxi price from Wanchai to Whampoa auround 68 Hk$

There is a network of Mini Bus Running over nigth until 5h00 from Central or Wanchai to Mongkok, You can take one to cross the harbour tunnel and then catch a Cab.

If you live in Shatin: There is night Bus to Ma On Shan As well. or you shall be able to find a Mini Bus From Mongkok to your destination. Only issue for this Minin Bus is that they only derpature when they are full...

Actually Hung Hom station to University is 20 mins. TST East to Lowu is only 42 mins!

Taxi's from Central to Sha Tin are nowhere near $300, we only ever pay $100 including tunnel fees by making one phone call. Busses run all night, N182 from central goes all the way to City One area.

Anyway looks krf is here and has his place now - best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Anyway looks krf is here and has his place now - best of luck!
    Yeah i opted for the short commute to work rather than the active social life. :-P

but i've found the bus selection to be pretty good. From Ma On Shan station to Wanchai by the 681 bus is only about 30-35 minutes!

The only downer is the bus /back/ seems to make a lot more stops, so it can take closer to 50-60 minutes (depending heavily on where in HK island you get on).

I've also gotten handy at taking the KCR from University to Hong Hom and switching to the Tunnel bus to get downtown as quickly as possible. Train is about 20 minutes and the transfer/bus ride is about 10-15 depending on how lucky you get.

Looks like you've got the transport pretty sussed already krf!

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Looks like you've got the transport pretty sussed already krf!
    yes. all those trips down to Wanchai to drop off and then pick up my China Visa and my HKID have taught me well...