young couple with dog searching for apartment

Closed Thread

young couple with dog searching for apartment

Hi! we are a young couple that have recently moved to HK from the US. I have been reading the forums to get a general idea of different neighborhoods in Hong Kong but since we have a pet I was wondering if it would be easy to find an apartment in those areas. We already checked out DB and know that it is pet friendly but the long commute seems like it could be an issue.

We're actually looking for something up to 18k rental per month, 2BD atleast 700 sq ft (we have some bulky items of furniture being shipped from the US), pet friendly, a commute not more than 30-40 mins door to door. Can someone suggest areas that would fit the bill?

Thanks!

Where are you working in HK? I live in DB and the ferry is only 25 minutes to Central. DB is great for dogs, lots of them.

Having your dog search for an apartment is a good idea if it is a bloodhound, but this may not work. Usually, an estate agent is a safer bet.

^^ i'll keep that in mind. thnx.

dmushinskie: so no other options besides DB? how about Gold Coast?

Work is in Central (by the Citigroup building). The walk from the ferry to the building is around 10 mins too if I remember correctly.

Last edited by fhnyc; 28-07-2010 at 12:43 PM.

There are a bunch of other options depending on your other requirements and like to have's for living. I picked DB and so far it's working out well with the dog. I have a big black lab, so didn't want a small apartment in the city. DB has it's drawbacks (as you can gather from many other posts on this site) but it's working for me and my family.

I agree with @bookblogger, use an agent, that's what I did and she showed me pet-friendly places throughout HK Island and in DB.

The gold coast flats and complex don't allow dogs, only the beach houses do but they are pretty expensive !

Opposite the gold coast is Aegean coast and they allow dogs here, no big patch of grass to run around on or anything but very dog friendly and there is a small enclosed park on site for dogs too.
    Also there is a non government beach within walking distance where you can take dogs and it is quite clean considering.

I can try to find my old estate agents number if you are interested in this area, she was really helpful with decent English so happy to pass her details on.

Last edited by London2HK; 28-07-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: forgot to add

Kind of depends on the size of the dog. Is it a bigger dog or a little lapdog? And you'll probably need a live-in maid to look after the little guy during your working hours unless your other half stays at home?

If you want to stay on HK island, try Happy Valley and Pok Fu Lam - both areas are pet friendly, should have places within your budget and you will get a bit more green around but still easily within your commute time (bus, minibus or taxi) to Central.

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    The gold coast flats and complex don't allow dogs, only the beach houses do but they are pretty expensive !

Opposite the gold coast is Aegean coast and they allow dogs here, no big patch of grass to run around on or anything but very dog friendly and there is a small enclosed park on site for dogs too.
    Also there is a non government beach within walking distance where you can take dogs and it is quite clean considering.

I can try to find my old estate agents number if you are interested in this area, she was really helpful with decent English so happy to pass her details on.
    hey thanks so much. you can send me the info if you find it... appreciate it!

and thank u everyone for the suggestions. our doggie is around 11 pounds so not exactly a teacup but he's still a small one. we definitely plan to go through an agent but the one I spoke to in DB told me it is hard to find pet friendly apartments in most areas of HK so I wanted to narrow my list to only those that are and do a little research before I approached an agent.

I will have a search through all my business cards/bits of paper this weekend for you and PM you her number (I know it's somewhere), hopefully she will still be working there by the time you need her as the other estate agents were a bit rubbish at getting back to us!