Call Out to to Park Islanders!!!

Closed Thread

Talking Call Out to to Park Islanders!!!

Hi,

I'm a UK guy moving out to HK early Nov. I have been considering where to live and Park island has been suggested by some of my colleagues. Two things worry me though...

1./ I have a dog. She is very docile and doesn't bark but I understand local people can be quite wary or larger dogs (she is about the size of a small labrodor). My budget is around $20k-$25k - can I get a garden flat for that much? Anybody else have dogs on Park Island that can comment on suitability?

2./ I'm single (early 30's and committment-phobic!!!). Is Park Island suitable for singles or more of a family resort like Disco Bay?

I am really trying to find a compromise between me and my pet - somewhere quite open and accommodating for dogs but where I can have a bit of a social life too. I know central will be only 20 mins away but sometimes even that is too far (i.e. Sunday mornings when you just want to veg out with some mates!!!! )

Any comments really appreciated.

Thanks.

1./ I have a dog. She is very docile and doesn't bark but I understand local people can be quite wary or larger dogs (she is about the size of a small labrodor). My budget is around $20k-$25k - can I get a garden flat for that much? Anybody else have dogs on Park Island that can comment on suitability?

You'll be fine in Park Island with a dog. There are heaps of people with dogs here. On garden flats, I haven't seen any. Oh, one tip on dogs. Try not to have more than a dog in a flat. It can get too much.

2./ I'm single (early 30's and committment-phobic!!!). Is Park Island suitable for singles or more of a family resort like Disco Bay?

Well, there are lots of single people living on Park Island too. It really doesn't matter.

I am really trying to find a compromise between me and my pet - somewhere quite open and accommodating for dogs but where I can have a bit of a social life too. I know central will be only 20 mins away but sometimes even that is too far (i.e. Sunday mornings when you just want to veg out with some mates!!!! )

I get into the city very often. The ferry is 24/7. It can be far at times, but for the price that you're getting, it's worth the money. The rent is very high in the city and small too.

Any comments really appreciated.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

For the budget you're talking about you could still live on the Island.
    Try looking at Happy Valley...you can find a place close to Tai Tam Country Park which is great for dog-walking. You could also look at housing in Western mid-levels close to Morning Trail (i.e. trails up the peak).

Basically if you're a big "city" person I think you might get fed-up with Park Island. My brother is a single guy living there and he wants to move out for this reason. Then again, if you like to get away in the evenings you could enjoy it.

You have the budget to consider the Island. You'll be in a flat (no garden), but could be close to the parks and there's tons of people with dogs who use that option. Actually it's very difficult to get a garden anywhere in HK unless you pay mucho $$. Just specify what you need with the real estate agents & have a look around.

Park Island

After living on Park Island for one year I (mid 30's guy) can say there is NO social scene here at all. While there is transit available 24/7 (ferries and buses only) its those friday and saturday nights in central after dinner and drinks where a taxi ride home would be choice mode.

Dogs are allowed on Park Island but most of the area is contained around the large residential buildings. PI is small and once you venture around the island you will end up exiting PI to explore much larger trails around HK, Tai Tam & Western trails, etc. So why not live near those trails ? ( as someone here pointed out). Also you should know that currently on PI there is an "Anti Dog Movement" which is trying to heavily restrict the ownership of dogs and owners. One of the more harsh ideas is to "muzzle dogs" all the time. The owners board has some power and is trying to force the managment to change some of the bylaws concerning dogs and dog ownership. As a dog owner I am not happy about the constant conflict on PI, especially when this was presented as a dog friendly environment. On that point one has to wonder why the "anti-dogites" moved on PI ??

If you want to enjoy living in HK as a new resident I would recommend the central island until you are so completely bored with all the area has to offer.

Best of Luck to you.

If I were you, I'd move to the Mid-Levels. You'll be 5-10 mins from Central, there's plenty of nightlife, you can walk your dog around to your heart's content and you might even meet some hot girls that way. For 20-25k, you might be able to get yourself an apartment with a private rooftop. That's exactly what I'd do if I was in your shoes...then again, I'm not you

My friends hate me when I go home and it only takes me 5 minutes and about $20...they have to trek to either DB or Kowloon..hehe

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 29-08-2006 at 05:15 PM.

Thanks guys - wow, that really puts a new slant on things. The 'muzzle movement' sounds scary enough to completely put me off PI. I'll have a look around those areas suggested. Thanks again.

Red face

Wow, didn't know that the anti dogites are such assholes..Why muzzle a dog? I've not seen many dogs that are muzzled in Park Island though. There's one thing that I don't quite understand about Park Island. There is such much land but they pour cement onto all the land... Why don't leave some land alone and have a field for the dogs to run and poo and do whatever they like.