New to HK: Single male looking for advice!

Closed Thread

New to HK: Single male looking for advice!

Hello,

This is my first time on the forum, and I've noticed that it's better to give as much relevant detail as possible, so here goes:
    - 22 year old single male
    - about to move to HK in a few weeks to start work, which will be near the Bank of China tower in Central
    - willing to spend around 20 ~ 30 minutes for commute to work, preferably a combination of walking and MTR, but not much longer than that
    - I don't know what percentage of post-tax salary is typically spent on rent, but right now, I'd budget around HK$10~12K per month
    - relatively convenient access to malls, restaurants, bars/clubs/pubs, cafes, supermarkets, etc. would be of course liked, but they don't have to be *instantly* accessible
    - hopefully a reasonably new property with good facilities such as gym and swimming pool
    - some higher-than-average density of expats would be cool, but doesn't have to be expat-central
    - can be HK island or Kowloon
    - I don't speak any Cantonese whatsoever, but hopefully that'll change soon!

So, what are your thoughts and advice for me? What kind of size can I expect? Is something around 500 sqft too big with those constraints? Do you have recommendations for specific complexes?

Thank you so much for your help!

Since you are single male, 10k-12k is enough....You could get a 400-600sqft apart easily in HK island, my work building is next to yours. I am now looking at Happy Valley, Mid Level, Wanchai, Tin Hau....

Happy Valley, Mid Level have a lot of expats, Wanchai is local & expats mixed, Tin Hau has more local people compared to the other three. But I think they are all pretty nice.

For his relatively new criteria with pool and gymn - are you sure he can do that on the Island? For those prices I looked in a number of places and didn't see anything meeting that price range with the "new" other than a few reno'd suites in older buildings in Quarry Bay - sans gymn and pool.

As a result I opted for an older hi-rise and rent from Tung Wah Hospital for just HK$8000 for a comfortable, clean 2 BR at 463 sq. feet which seems has more liveable space than the alleged 504 sq ft 2BR (new) at the Grand Waterfront in To Kwa Wan which is further than his criteria for location but has club house gymn, sauna, steam and pool (outdoor) and might be rentable at that range.

The issue with Grand Waterfront at Kowloon City ferry pier is that you have long bus rides to Central and one option I used to use is the 15 minute ferry boat ride to North Point (5 min to get to ferry first) and then 5 min. walk to MTR and then 8 minutes for him to Admiralty. Then he'd have to walk to BOC building which is likely 10 more min.

Maybe the Kowloon side on the other MTR line has this but I am not sure.

He might do better to get his "new" like flat if he can and then do a gymn membership and the pool that way.

The downside there is he is young and might not like that area.

his budget high end could get him newer building....

I looked at no.1 star street last month, they asked 25 floor, 400 sqft, 15k...the agency said if i want to go with a low floor, it could be cheaper...and remember that's just an asking price...that's why i think 12k could get him an okay apartment...No.1 star street has gym, but no pool....and it's fairly new, i think 3 years or 5 years.

Tin Hau, he could also be able find an apartment qualifies those requirements too...

But in Happy Valley & Mid Level, it might be tricky....so probably has to be older building.

Quote Originally Posted by dr1122:
    Happy Valley, Mid Level have a lot of expats, Wanchai is local & expats mixed, Tin Hau has more local people compared to the other three. But I think they are all pretty nice.
    Let's be clear that in none of these areas do the proportion of expats exceed about 25%, so suggesting that HV and mid-levels aren't "mixed" is a bit of a stretch!

Quote Originally Posted by dr1122:
    his budget high end could get him newer building....

I looked at no.1 star street last month, they asked 25 floor, 400 sqft, 15k...the agency said if i want to go with a low floor, it could be cheaper...and remember that's just an asking price...that's why i think 12k could get him an okay apartment...No.1 star street has gym, but no pool....and it's fairly new, i think 3 years or 5 years.

Tin Hau, he could also be able find an apartment qualifies those requirements too...

But in Happy Valley & Mid Level, it might be tricky....so probably has to be older building.
    Hey Dr.

I think its 3 pieces of equipment on the shared area, doesn't really make it much of a gym.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

I have a question.
    From what I've read, living in HK island would involve paying a lot of money for rent or settling with old and tiny apartments.
    Yet a lot of expats seem to do it or want to do it.
    What are the reasons?

It's close to work, but say you don't mind spending 20 ~ 30 minutes to commute. What are some of the shortcomings of living in Kowloon?
    Is it significantly less convenient? Less fun? No expats around at all?
    Is all the cool nightlife in HK island?

I live in a really old building, and there is no elevator, but the location is great and I joined a gym which is close to me. If you dont care about having an old building, but do want a great location, I would highly suggest living in the midlevels soho area.