Dogs and Apartments: What's the real answer?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

We've run into many problems trying to find an apartment here. Often we find the perfect one, only ot find out that the landlord keeps saying "no problem" and the building says "no way".

At many places the doorman/concierage will turn a blind eye to the pets coming in the building, but if neighbors complain it can become messy. I would just make sure to befriend your neighbors and make sure they come to you instead of complaining first. Most often it can be worked out.

We just spent some time apartment hunting in HK at dog friendly apartments. We saw about 30 places - mostly in these complexes: Bamboo Grove, Dynasty Court, Hillsborough, Leighton Hills. Then we looked at smaller apartment buildings in Happy Valley & Mid Levels. There are definitely a lot of places out there.

We decided on Bamboo Court b/c they are located right on one of the jogging paths, so our dog can get exercise. Also - they have a back service elevator so you can avoid most of the residents who may not be crazy about dogs. We also chose it b/c of the # of expats, thinking that many are from countries accustomed to larger dogs. Hopefully we made the right choice. The landlord seemed very open to having a dog, however, I never saw any pets during my several visits there.

Good luck!
    PW

I've got friends with a dog in Bamboo Grove and they have mentioned other dog owners there.

Please be careful though when taking your dog to Bowen Road jogging path, it is notorious for dog poisonings, over the last 20 years around 100 dogs have been fatally poisoned and countless others have survived. (My friends' dog in Bamboo Grove being one of them, and 2 dogs from my building a bit further down Kennedy Rd). We never let our dogs off the leash there. The SPCA's advice is to muzzle them if they go off leash in that area.

AIP,

Thanks for the word of warning! We will be careful on Bowen Rd. I appreciate you looking out for us!

Take care,
    PW