Dogs and Apartments: What's the real answer?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Dogs and Apartments: What's the real answer?

I've heard contradicting reports regarding apartments that allow dogs here in these forums and was wondering if someone could clear this up.

1) People seem to indicate that its very hard to find an apartment that allows dogs.

2) People seem to indicate that its very easy to find an apartment that allows dogs bc the landlord doesnt care too much as long as you leave the necessary deposit.

So is this contradiction due to the fact that landlords allow dogs but the building mgmt does not? If this is the case, how do people sneak out their dogs? Arent there concierges or security guards at the front doors?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

not too dog friendly - HK

Quote Originally Posted by Submariner:
    I've heard contradicting reports regarding apartments that allow dogs here in these forums and was wondering if someone could clear this up.

1) People seem to indicate that its very hard to find an apartment that allows dogs.

2) People seem to indicate that its very easy to find an apartment that allows dogs bc the landlord doesnt care too much as long as you leave the necessary deposit.

So is this contradiction due to the fact that landlords allow dogs but the building mgmt does not? If this is the case, how do people sneak out their dogs? Arent there concierges or security guards at the front doors?

Your advice would be much appreciated.
    Hi I was told by many agents that landlords normally prefer to rent it out to single people with no pets and kids. Also if you have 3 complains from the neighbours regarding dog's barking of whatsoever, the dog has to leave the apartment. I remember seeing a sign of " no dogs allowed" outside a park - it could be just one exeption but i am not sure

I live in Park Island. There are so many dogs here. I guess it depends if you live in a dog friendly estate or not

I agree with you sunnie. If I love dogs, I dont mind my neighbours' have dogs. if dogs bark, you think dogs are bothering. I think its just because they are boring or hungry...They just want to attract you to pay more attention on them. Dogs bark i guess thats like we chat. Anyway, it depends where you live. NT is the best place to have pets.
    Quote Originally Posted by sunniefaith:
    I live in Park Island. There are so many dogs here. I guess it depends if you live in a dog friendly estate or not
    Last edited by survivorbee; 29-08-2006 at 10:47 AM.

I guess it is really up to the people in the estate. In Park Island, they are so many dogs and owners are generally pretty responsible. I love dogs too and I'm thinking of bringing my dog to HK too...But don't know what's the deal with quarantines

It totally depends on the landlord. Some allow it, some don't. Just let your real estate agent know ahead of time. It will limit some of your choices, but you will still have plenty of apartments which are OK with it.

haha, I will just send the dog to the apartment, I dont want my landlord know.

Quote Originally Posted by nina_70:
    It totally depends on the landlord. Some allow it, some don't. Just let your real estate agent know ahead of time. It will limit some of your choices, but you will still have plenty of apartments which are OK with it.

Quote Originally Posted by survivorbee:
    haha, I will just send the dog to the apartment, I dont want my landlord know.
    True, true...I have to admit I did the same thing with my cats
    I told my real estate agent, but she was pretty cool about the whole thing and suggested I don't mention it to the landlord. As long as your rental agreement doesn't specifically exclude pets it's a gray area.
    Last edited by nina_70; 29-08-2006 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nina_70:
    Not just landlords. Some apartment complexes will not allow dogs at all. Our last apartment block didn't.

Even if you buy a place it doesn't mean you'll be allowed to keep dogs. If the management say no then that's it. If you're in an apartment block that does allow dogs and the dogs are noisy, if there are enough complaints you will be told to get rid of the dogs.

Have to admit that there are some people who really don't like dogs for some reasons and thus make a lot of noise to the mananagement. It's just my opinion, I'm beginning to feel that estates in HK island may not be that friendly to dogs. This might be due to lack of space or just ignorant people

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast