Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UK/HKboy

hong kong island or kowloon?

Closed Thread

hong kong island or kowloon?

hi everyone,

just moved to hong kong about three days ago for work and have a month to find a permanent apartment. i'm wondering whether to consider looking for a place in kowloon or stick to the island.

i like that i could get a somewhat cheaper, more spacious place in kowloon, but my worry is about getting back and forth late at night. i'm 24, so if i'm staying out late with friends, is it ever difficult/expensive to go from the island to kowloon? any other pros/cons?

i last lived in queens (astoria), nyc and loved being slightly out of the city because it was quieter and cheaper, but still a really quick commute and had a "community" feel to it.

i've just started looking for a place/exploring HK, so i'm open to any suggestions on where to start. also thinking about kennedy town. looking to spend $12,000 - $13,000 on rent and will be working at the cheung kong tower.

thanks everyone for the help! really appreciate it.

Last edited by twinholly; 01-08-2010 at 06:13 PM.

Unless you live deep in the New Territories, or on an island where the ferries stop running at an early time, you'd be fine.

kowloon is great! you will likely get better value flats on that side as well.

I live in the Mongkok area and though it is right in the city in terms of people and lifestyle, its only about 20 minutes by MTR to Central, and there are usually late night minibuses from everywhere else in Hong Kong so it can't be beat for convenience.

You can try looking at 8 Waterloo Road (which is close to Yau Ma Tei) or perhaps Paradise Square in Mongkok. They are both relatively new and if you can get a higher floor flat on the right side, you can get a great view across the harbour as well.

twinholly likes this.