need $12,000 2br apartment, work in wanchai

Closed Thread

need $12,000 2br apartment, work in wanchai

Hello all

After visiting Hong Kong for 2 months this summer I found a job and will be returning in 2 weeks to start a life there!

I have a friend from Canada who will be sharing a flat with me. Was wondering if you could help narrow down the areas for an apartment chase:

We have 12,000hkd budgeted for monthly rent. We would prefer less than that but we are trying to be realistic. some background info:

- both work in wanchai
    - need 2br place, hopefully 600sf or larger
    - want newer apartment (read: cleaner apartment/newer reno)
    - don't want to commute more than 30mins to work
    - want somewhere close to the mtr/transit
    - want cool street-level ammenities and feel that lends well to a us early 20-somethings

We would prefer to live in:
    - causeway bay, happy valley, soho
    but is this realistic for our budget/requirements?

If not, what is a good place to live?
    - north point/quarry bay area?
    - yau tong/tiu keng leng area?
    - tseung kwan o area? I heard you can get real nice places for <10k

does anybody have info on the last three areas as i did not visit them much while i was in hong kong?

After narrowing down the areas, does anyone have recommendations for property agents specializing in each area? My friend speaks cantonese but i really don't.

I'm coming over on Sept 18 to start looking at places and am really excited about moving to hong kong! Thanks for your help!

ps. is it true that the air quality in tseung kwan o is the worst in hong kong because of the landfill nearby? anybody have more info on this?

Causeway Bay is totally do-able for that price. We have a 3-bd for only $1K more than that (we rented few months ago). If you like I'll PM you the name of our agent...she was very nice, speaks perfect English. Just let me know.

Tin Hau, North Point are also great for that budget. North Point will get you something a little larger. However, we're very happy in Causeway Bay. Lovely area with lots of "city life" and so easy to get to Wanchai & Central.