Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PDLM

Cheating on lease contract

Closed Thread

Cheating on lease contract

Please if anybody know how to respond to this properly let me know:
    1) Signed a contract in 2009 for 2 years lease at HKD 13,800 in Sham Tseng. Not any clause in the contract saying 1 year fixed / 2nd year open
    2) In December 2009 the landlord told us he has sold the flat and the new owner will contact us soon.
    3) Only in April we heard from the new owner who was immediately asking for a rent increase almost HKD 4,000 more.
    4) Then the new landlord asked us to sign a "contract" that lease can not be extended after the 2 years period.

In my opinion this is cheating as the first landlord never dissolved the old contract with us. How comes the new landlord is entitled to raise the rent like this ? Actually he needed to make a new contract with us after the first contract was settled. As I do not want to move out there - even after the 2 years finished - any idea - or I better consult a lawyer immediately ?

From the simple facts you have presented, you have the right to live there at $13,800 until the end of the 2 year period in 2011. When your contract ends you have no rights, and you would need to negotiate a new contract. If you cannot agree terms with the new landlord then you must leave at the end of the 2 years.

juergenw likes this.

So shall I try now to challenge the new landlord and cut down to this 13,800 until the end of the 2 years ?

it's not challenge and cut down. just tell him that you have a valid contract and you will fulfill your side of it