Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By scout

Where did you first stay when you relocated to HK?

Closed Thread

Where did you first stay when you relocated to HK?

Hi everyone,

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've been reading the forum non stop for the past few weeks and finally decided to ask you guys for help in finding temporary housing for my first month. Let me preemptively note that I've already gone through the serviced apartment listing on this site.... and I still need your help.

I will be relocating to HK from New York with an American law firm come mid September. I'm a 28 year old, single, Chinese American woman and I will receive around 77,800 HKD as my relocation budget (on top of airfare). I would like to spend 1 month in a serviced apartment and then find a permanent place.

I am interested in finding my own housing instead of letting the company book me into a fancy expensive place because I have an incentive to stretch that budget as long as possible. The more I save on corporate housing that first month, the more money I can pocket to apply to other necessities (like rent for permanent housing).

I've emailed tons of places just for quotes and availabilities but not having much luck. Maybe because my requirements are too unrealistic? I'd love to hear where everyone stayed when they first got here and how much they paid.

Here are my own stipulations:
    - 10,000 and 18,000 HKD total rent (including utilities and internet)
    - 350 to 600 square feet studio
    - clean
    - on HK island, and convenient to 1 Exchange Square by public transportation
    - 25 min commute MAX.

These are places I've already emailed or excluded (based on their price or availability):

The Platinum Apartments
    Excellent Soho
    Soho69
    Cityloft
    Regent Heights
    Shama Midlevel
    Como Como
    Central Park Hotel
    Hanlun Habitats
    Causeway Corner
    GardenEast

I need more suggestions on where to stay for my first month. Help?

Thanks a lot everyone!

Last edited by Cees; 13-08-2010 at 09:45 AM.

You could look at V studio apartments - they have a few locations, a few studios within your budget too.

central park hotel should be within your budget - check with them again! they have something for hkd 17000.

also try long-stay at rosedale hotel - they are quite affordable.

the burlington in wanchai is decent too.

Cees likes this.

You might find that turning up on the doorstep looking to rent from 'tomorrow' (for example) might give you a better negotiating position to get them to move from whatever 'standard rates' they sent you by email.....

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    You might find that turning up on the doorstep looking to rent from 'tomorrow' (for example) might give you a better negotiating position to get them to move from whatever 'standard rates' they sent you by email.....
    That sounds very risky, or if you have alot of free time to go to each service apartment to see all their rates and then decide. You will have all your luggage and also have the chance if vacancy rates are low being forced to take a more expensive hotel for that gamble.

I think you should find the one that you like and rent weekly that way you can start seeing permanent house and worse comes to worse extend your stay.
    Last edited by aliendavid1; 13-08-2010 at 07:46 PM.

you may have lot more options in kowloon side (eg TST)

I just relocated to HK from US and I am living in Garden East (last one in your list). It is a decent serviced apartment but it was arranged by my employer. So I am not so sure about the rates but I doubt you will get it for 10K budget per month. I m thinking that it will probably be more than 20-25K/mo at the minimum.

But this place is very convenient to Central where I work. Wanchai metro (MTR) is less than 5 min walk and takes you to Central in 7-8 mins.

Cool, I'll take a closer look at Central Park and GardenEast. And add Rosedale to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by US2HongKong:
    I just relocated to HK from US and I am living in Garden East (last one in your list). It is a decent serviced apartment but it was arranged by my employer. So I am not so sure about the rates but I doubt you will get it for 10K budget per month. I m thinking that it will probably be more than 20-25K/mo at the minimum.

But this place is very convenient to Central where I work. Wanchai metro (MTR) is less than 5 min walk and takes you to Central in 7-8 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by US2HongKong:

Currently staying at GardenEast at Wan Chai. Gotta say I'm lovin it. It's convenient to the Wan Chai MTR which is just 2 stops from Central where I work.
    Couple of restaurants/fastfood/local eateries around the corner. Supermarket (Taste) opposite (though stuff are slightly on the high side) - you can get quick cooked-to-go packaged meals there, clearance marked down in the evenings (most than HKD30).
    Staff are friendly and helpful.
    Rental though is quite high (around HKD 30k/month) but I chose the 1 bedroom deluxe suite though.
    Plus points : FREE indoor gym, laundry/dryer