Tung Chung, Tsing Yi and DB

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tung Chung, Tsing Yi and DB

Which of the following areas are better and why (Tung Chung, Tsing Yi and DB) pros/cons to areas please.

Thanks.

better? for whom?

i loved DB, but it is certainly not for everyone.

the pros for one person will be the cons for another....

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    better? for whom?

i loved DB, but it is certainly not for everyone.

the pros for one person will be the cons for another....
    better for me. ill be working at hk airport and based on my requirements, budget and work location they have recommended me these areas to seriously look at.

i havent arrived in hk yet so just looking for a general opinion.

So what are your requirements and budget? How old are you? Single? Kids? Like a beer? Like ferries? Like obnoxiously loud Australian women? Like dogs? Like noisy kids running around?

Last edited by PDLM; 13-08-2010 at 09:54 PM.

TC - Cheapest housing and closest to the airport.
    DB - Middle price housing and good if you have kids/dogs.
    TY - Most expensive of the three and closer to the city/civilisation, whilst still good airport access.

TY most expensive? i would have said that DB was more than TY.

TC is a little removed from the "thick of it". you would be on the MTR for 25 minutes or so to get to central. has a cinema that is one of the most under-utilised yet cheapest in hk. has a mall of outlet shops. when i lived in db, this mall was virtually deserted all the time. last time i was there on a weekend evening it was packed to the rafters. a couple of restaurants.

DB is mainly for families and dog-lovers. VERY expat-centric. like living in a small town, everyone knows everyone. full of cathay staff. quite a few restaurants, with a pretty good selection. good supermarket. new plaza, no idea what it's like. 30 minute comfortable, air-conditioned ferry to central. ferry is expensive.

TY is more local in its make-up. big mall, always busy. a few restaurants, cinema. pretty good connections to the rest of hk including an mtr station. mostly high-rises, but still a few (very few) village houses around.

If you like DB but consider it to be a bit too cliquely try Gold Coast. Cheaper than all of the ones on your list but only 30 mins from the airport with a dedicated airport bus (for residents) that goes approx hourly. And is thus full of cathay staff and pilots.
    GC is spacious, has grass, proximity to beaches and hiking, supermarket, chemist and various restaurants with all other shopping close by in Tuen Mun.
    IF you need LKF style nightlife (expats, clubs, beer) then not a good choice, however, but none of the other three listed is either.....

Last edited by MovingIn07; 13-08-2010 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    TY most expensive?
    In my experience, yes. I was renting 1023sqf in the brand new development in Chianti, DB for $16k. When I considered moving to TY (in Tierra Verde or Villa Esplanada) the places I saw were old, dirty, smaller and more expensive (over $20k for 900sqf). Probably the locals consider TY to be more convenient than DB.

But I do think DB has a wider variation in prices. At the high end, DB will probably be a lot more expensive.

that's true. db you can rent from $6k-150k...

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    So what are your requirements and budget? How old are you? Single? Kids? Like a beer? Like ferries? Like obnoxiously loud Australian women? Like dogs? Like noisy kids running around?
    thanks all. your feedback has been very helpful indeed.

FYI:

i'm 29 years old, in a complicated relationship, no kids, love beer, like ferries, dont like loud obnoxious Australian women, love dogs, hmmm noisy kids if i can avoid then i will.

i normally avoid going out during the week and if i do it will be to see a movie or go to a nice restaurant, maybe the odd time to the pub for a couple of beers to watch some sport or meet some friends. ideally my budget is 16k for a 2 bed apartment.

the 2nd bedroom can be shoebox size as i will use it as a study/visitor room.

i am not too bothered about living in an expat area or not. maybe id prefer the locals as they are going to be around longer then an expat and maybe i can learn from them.

at the end of the day all i want is a really nice apartment with decent connections/access to my work and the city with small grocery shops, cinema, restaurants and some pubs nearby.

i think its better to live closer to work then closer to the city too as there is more of a chance that ill be working long hours/late nights/weekends.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast