Finding a place to live

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The places I've heard of that are best for kids are;
    The Gold Coast, Parkview, Bel Air, The Belchers, No 80 Robinson Rd -none of which are close to where you want to be so that is not very helpful.
    It seems that you get the best results on this website if you publish a really specific request ie: Apartment near x school and then people close to there will reply - I know there have been some long threads in the past about that area so try doing some searches for them. The Laguna Verde place mentioned above looks amazing and might be worth checking out.
    Don't envy you doing the hunt with 3 kids but seems like there is no other way. Highly recommend you bring snacks with you for the first few days of looking. I know that until I found my way around I got really frustrated finding somewhere I wanted to eat between looking at places and I bet your kids are even fussier than me.

If you have never been to HK I think it would be really difficult to find a place and move in, especially given all your needs.
    I think your greatest difficulty will be squaring the expat social scene with working in Shatin and schooling in Kowloon, although it really doesn't take long to get anywhere in HK (speaking from an Atlanta traffic perspective). I guess it depends on whether you need to have 100 expat friends or 10 and whether you have to be able to make it to the restaurant/party/get-together in 30 minutes or 5.
    Having said that, I will pm you the name of our realtor. She has done a great job for us, as well as someone else in our office.

Quote Originally Posted by inprov:
    What do you mean by shopping malls? Here in the States, that is a term for a large, isolated building, full of shops and surrounded by a parking lot. I would never want to live near one. Does shopping mall have another meaning in HK?
    A shopping mall is a large building similar to a department store, but with different owners of the single shops. Car Parks either underground below a park or in the first 2-10 storeys below an office or residential tower.

Anyway, a parking lot like at the old airport provides unobstructed view.

Disco Bay is out, as my husband hates taking a ferry to work.
    From Discobay you can take the bus and the MTR (subway).

How about the Belcher's in Pokfulam? How would that commute be?
    Bus to MTR, MTR to KCR, KCR to Shatin and Kowloon Tong.
    Or car or taxi.

What about Pacific Palisades in North Point? We have decided that we need a large, child friendly complex with good facilities for all of our kids and access to city parks. The Belcher's seems to be a bit far away from public transport(we will not buy a car)

but we would like to find a similar family oriented community.
    Any suggestions?

That's easy: Discobay, Kowloon Tong or Sai Kung.

Shatin or Ma On Shan might be other options. There are many kids around, in Shatin and Ma On Shan you can ride a bicycle. There are sports facilities, a rowing club, canoe club.

i used hongkong homes.com to get a good idea of whats available where and for what price. In most cases you could haggle 10% off asking. I'm in Belair where the facilities are fantastic. however i only moved in 2 days ago so don't know community that well. i have a couple of friends on the same budget with little kids who live out there and like it... plenty of places going there too...might be worth a check.