Living on Lantau Island ???

Closed Thread

Living on Lantau Island ???

Hi there, my family and I will be moving to Hong Kong in early 2007. My wife & I were in Hong Kong this summer to have a look around and seemed to like Discovery Bay. I'm just wondering what the average monthly rent is for a 1200 - 1500 square foot, 3 or 4 bedroom apartment in Discovery Bay? Also, we took a drive out to the Po Lin Monastery on Lantau Island and passed by another smaller resort-style residential area about a 20-30 minute drive from Tung Chung. Can anyone tell me what this development is called? What kind of services does this development have (ie. Public Transportation, Recreational Facilities, etc.)? What kind of rent does this development charge?

"Also, we took a drive out to the Po Lin Monastery on Lantau Island and passed by another smaller resort-style residential area about a 20-30 minute drive from Tung Chung. " - Not sure what this place is.

Prices for DB for 1200 sq ft would start around 14K a month. Have a look at www.hongkonghomes.com and www.gohome.com.hk good websites and the prices you see are what the landlord would ideally like. So if you see one for 16K, could probably get it for 14, 20K might get for 17K

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info on DB. The other development that I saw was on the ocean & in a fairly rural area. I just noticed it as we were driving by and all I could see were white residential buildings, some tennis courts, and a sandy beach. Does this ring any bells for anyone?

That would be near Cheung Sha Beach on Lantau Island..they have some property developments like Butterfly Crest etc..which are villas. Pretty popular with Cathay crew as there is a direct bus to the airport..btu getting into Central everyday is not as convenient as Discovery Bay. But, you will get a beautiful house for 17-20K out there.

From Tung Chung to the Buddha you wouldn't go past Cheung Sha (that would involve turning left when you reach South Lantau Road, not right). My guess is that you are talking about Tong Fuk.

Does anyone know any property agents for Cheung Sha or any of the beachside suburbs in that area? We're living in TC , and all the agents herre don't seem interested in anything else except for TC - there's so many great village houses we've seen whilst walking around - surely someone's selling ??

Got a friend who lives in a lovely house around Shek Mun Kap (just off Tung Chung Road). I was thinking of looking for something similar (not started yet) and he said the best way was to go to the villages and check out the local notice boards. Also to ask around if anyone was selling. Better for both parties as avoids agency costs...