Commuting Times

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    inprov

Commuting Times

We are only going to have a couple of days to find an apartment. The company wants to rent it for us and I do not think the serviced thing is going to work. I am going to do most of my research online and then slam through in a few weeks when I arrive to select an apartment.

Husband's office will be in ShaTin, but he will also be going to Shenzhen by train about every other week or so. Maybe even once a week. The kids will likely go to school at AIS in Kowloon Tong(it seems they have space if they pass the test!) or they could end up at IMS in North Point. I will consider other schools as well.
    What would commuting times to Shatin by MTR/train/bus be like from the following
    -Belcher's- Pokfulam
    -Midlevels area(not sure I would want that)
    -Pacific Palisades in North Point(sounds great... is it?)
    -Beverly Hill(Happy Valley)
    -Kowloon Tong (St. George's or bEacon Hill)

Also, how would these areas be with 3 kids and no car? Husband travels a lot, so I need other families and moms to be friendly with. Would NT just be terrible? I imagine it like the Walmart/Stripmall infested sprawl areas of US where I would never want to live. Of course, I have NEVER been to HK. So I am probably imagining this. I have seen those quickly developed parts of China and they just seem kind of sad and isolating.

Would like Dave to commute no more than 30-40 minutes to ShaTin, so he can have dinner with us.
    Please recommend any good buidings with rentals that would be 1600 - 2000 square feet and are not completely above our housing allowance which is 40-50k. I thought that was a ton and now is is seeming small for a family of 5. That is what we negotiated!

best bet then would be stick to the kowloon tong area as its on the kcr route for when your husband goes to shenzhen.

and don't worry the nt is not like some hicktown in texas

I went to look at Pacific Palisades and never got passed the elevator. The mold and mildew smell struck me like lightening and I ran out.

I grew up on Braemar Hill (the area where Pacific Palisades is) but we didn't consider moving to PP because we already had a 2400 sq ft place nearby. Surprised to hear about your experience goodkarma! Guess it's gone downhill considerably since we went to look at the show flat...

I live in the Mid-Levels now, but it's way too crowded. If he's going to be commuting to Shatin, Kowloon Tong or Happy Valley would be ideal. Have you considered ESF schools or HKIS inprov?

The NT is nothing like suburbia btw..no stripmalls or Walmart-type places at all. Just lots of open space/villages/etc...more like being out in the sticks than suburbia.

The NT do not "sprawl" like the US. Most of the development is rather confined; a lot of HK (forget the %) is park land. Bet more than 3/4 of the NT is undeveloped.
    This will help with commute times. It is the train schedule. Just plug in the begin and end and it will tell you how long the journey is and how much it costs.
    http://www.kcrc.com.hk/html/eng/index.asp
    And, not to add to your complexity, but Shenzen is a big place. The train (KCR) is only convenient if you are headed where the train is going. The ferry is more convenient to certain areas and roads are more convenient to certain areas.
    From what I have looked at, that budget in the areas you are speaking about will result in something small and/or older. I don't think your budget will cover 4 bedrooms in One Beacon Hill, can some of the kids room together? You see a bunch of apartments with built-in bunk beds.

Take a serviced apartment for the first month. Even if you have to pay your own money it will be worth it in terms of getting the right place.

To make it easy, start living in Kowloon Tong. Then change a year later if you see the need.

I second the spend your own money on a serviced apartment for just one month. You all can cram in one small place for a few weeks, it won't hurt. It could be the best money you spend your whole time in Hong Kong, if it gets you into the right area for the long haul. There are so many things you will NOT see on a website, and so many things you have to kind of experience to know what it is like (i.e. how long is the bus to here in rush hour, vs. during the day. How clean is the nearest grocery, pharmacy, McDonalds, whatever?). The list is endless.

A serviced apartment for a month would really give you the 'ground time' you are going to need for a big stay.

If you can't do a serviced apartment, I would also consider a quick flight over to get the lay of the land. Check United e-fares--sometimes you can come over last minute for upto 8-10 days for around $700US.

inprov

I am coming over for a week in November(the move is for Jan 1) to let my children take the entrance exam at a couple of schools and figure out enrollment issues. I was going to look around HK and look at apartments with a realtor during this time. I have mapped out David's office and KCR and bus stops. I have also mapped out all MTR/KCR routes to differest areas, so that when we look at apartments, I will have this figured out.

My biggest problem is schools. I am hoping my kids get into American International School. They told me that they have may space for my two oldest girls, but they must have all records/recommendations first and they must take the test. I am also interested in International Montessori, but feel that I have no other options besides those. Every other school has basically told me no. The French school wants a HUGE deposit to apply and be on their "waiting list". This is non-refundable after you get a spot, which couls take years. So if you are settled at another school, they know you will not pull your child out! What a scam!

Oh, am I worried about school.
    Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by inprov:
    Any suggestions?
    Condoms next time?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast