Advice on how to terminate residential lease early

Closed Thread

Advice on how to terminate residential lease early

Hi,

Does anyone have any advice on how to go about ending a residential lease before the lease expiry date? I have 3 months left on my lease but really want to get out before and am worried my landlord will not allow it!

Any advice or opinions on the likelyhood of this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Tell your landlord what u r thinking about. As long as you don't commit, you've nothing to lose.

He/she may accept the early termination in one or more of the following circumstances:

1. He can re-rent in the current market at a higher $ rate than he's getting from u now:
    2. He may actually want to occupy the premises himself and will otherwise be committed to rent 2 u until termination of the lease; or
    3. He may be very reasonable/kind and let you off with the early termination.

Like other contracts, they can be amended or terminated with the agreement of parties to the contract.

U likely have a 2 yr contract, in which case u probably have a break cause facilitating 2 months notice after 12 months of tenancy. This means give him/her written notice before 12 months of tenancy and u can end it at the conclusion of 14 months tenancy.

Thanks so much for your advice!

Will see what the landlord says!

Actually, to my understanding for the 2-year contract, which means the landlord has to be bounded by 2 years, but the tenant only needed to bound in the first year, actually 13 mths., and the tentant has the right to terminate the contract only in one mth. notice in advance. EXCEPT, if you signed under different terms as agreed between the landlord and yourself.