Like Tree2Likes

Hong Kong apartment large enough for 8 for 2 weeks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hong Kong apartment large enough for 8 for 2 weeks

Hi all,

I am planning to visit Hong Kong in July next year with a group of 8, and felt that an apartment would be more suited for us than a hotel, I have only managed to find studio apartments so far..

We have a budget of about $18000-19000 HKD for the period of two weeks. At the moment I don't know Hong Kong that well so ideally the apartment would be as central as possible/closest to the touristy areas.

Thanks for your help.

yeah, ummmm... you're going to need a LOT more money than that! hk rents are sky-high, and apartments are small.

a huge percentage of hte population live in gov't housing. my hubby grew up in some. 5 people got 300sq.ft.

1) it will be near impossible to find ANYTHING that would accomodate 8 people.
    2) if you are lucky enough to find somewhere you will in all likelihood have to double(?) your budget at a minimum (my guess anyway)
    3) anywhere "central" would increase the cost even more.

i STRONGLY suggest you re-think this plan.

Well it all depends on how your are all prepared to live. I mean are you prepared to sleep together on the floor or do you want a bedroom each? How many bedrooms would you be looking for?

I spent 5 minutes googling on the internet and found some options (although they are not strictly in tourist areas but you should be able to get to these easily as HK is not that big and the public transport system is good)...

This is probably the closest thing to what you want - http://www.yesinspace.com/?gclid=COe...FQYIHAod7Sb1zA

You could consider sub-letting someone's furnished apartment while they are on vacation - see this from Craigslist HK...LARGE MODERN FLAT IN MIDLEVELS

Alternatively you could stay at one of the many hostels (just google.)

You'll have less choice on your budget, but there are options out there depending on how you are willing to live while in HK and what you want to do while here.

Last edited by Poppalicious; 30-09-2010 at 09:43 AM.

how many woman is there and are they all related?
    I ask because i remember reading a while back (but cant find the details now) about "brothel laws" where police will consider a flat to be operating as a brothel if too many unrelated woman are living together.

you know...one of those sexist laws that dont care if its a bunch of men living together...but a womens slumber party must be up to no good.

And before you start sending unsuspecting tourists to craiglist scams ..

http://www.geoexpat.com/forum/61/thread46847-8.html

The yes in space link that you said is for 200 sq feet apartments.

Football16 likes this.

You can rent apartments in Discovery Bay for short term rental. There are dozens of adverts on their local forum. You can get one to three bedroom fully furnished apartments without much hassle. I think starting at around HKD 500 per night. DiscoveryBayForum.com - DB Room, House , Boat or Golf Car

Downside DB is 25 mins away from Central. Plus point: Your already on Lantau Island close to some of the touristy spots. And plenty of open spaces to relax and visit HK island whenever you want.

The Discovery Bay ones are all illegal unless you stay for 1 month or longer. You must have a particular type of licence in order to rent a place out for less than 1 month, and no-one in DB has this licence.

Of course, dont let the law stop you. Just like its illegal for a helper to live out, but so many people do it anyway.

Skyhook likes this.

yeap bdw - I know its not legit to rent out for short-term. But this is something between the Housing dept (or whatever) and the Owner.

My only point was this is good value accommodation for a bunch of people.

Not sure what exactly you are looking for in terms of space but this might be an option but also just a little over your current budget.
    Oddly enough it's located right beside one of the most expensive hotels in Hong Kong, The Penisula.

YMCA of Hong Kong

*Just noticed max stay limit of 7 days, sorry.

Last edited by Kman; 30-09-2010 at 11:20 AM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast