Dog and teen attached

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

i think that park island would be a long commute for your son to get to school....

Quote Originally Posted by dalene722:
    Thanks, Sunniefaith.
    I will check the links. 19K sounds good. 15k-25k range with 2bdrms min (3 would be ideal). How is Park island?

Does anyone know how long it takes to KLT from Sai Kung?
    I love Park Island. Great for dogs and kids. Lots of room to run around for both dogs and kids. The clubhouses are great as well. I'm paying 8400 for 700 square feet. Sch might be a long commute for your kids. I've heard from a friend that Delia might be opening either in Tsingyi or Kwai Fong. You might want to check that out. Heard from my other NET (Native English Teacher) friends that there's a local school in Tung Chung that uses English as a medium of instruction. Not sure of the school name though. There's also the YMCA that conducts high school in English as well. Got a leaflet in my letterbox the other day as you.

ma on shan is very far.

ESF schools because of the curriculum they study can't accept mid-term due to the set tets they choose to study at the beginning of the year.

I think that if your son is going to Delia for only half a year then it will be fine and then i'd reccomend to transfer him to another school. From what i've heard the teachers at Delia (sorry if any of you out there are and i may be mistaken!) are not as good as the ESF / intl teachers, that the grades are not as good as the ones achieved or strived for at ESF schools. As for the students obviously this is subjective i guess it is more local (whether this is a good or a bad thing who knows)...

sorry don't mean to get you worried and may be worth getting other ppls opinions on this as im no expert just been through the school system here.

also the other thing to look at is what is on offer. a lot of local schools or non-esf / intl are less concerned with the future i.e help with uni and career guidance or have minimum conncections to ensure a good university. as well as after-school activities which are generally encouraged in intl and ESF whereas they tend to be frowned upon in more local schools.

i'm surprised at what you say about ESF. my aunt and uncle moved here 8 years ago and their twins were able to get into KG5 starting in December. i think they were only in grade 9 though...

This 13 hour difference makes me difficult to get back to you quickly, but so far I am very grateful for what I am getting from this forum. can't thank you enough.

sigh sigh sigh...who would've thought that finding a school is that difficult. so ESF is generally better than other intl schools, eh? I don't know about 8 years ago, but KG has a year-long waitlist and the school has no plan to accept new students whatsoever. Had my son been able to come to HK in December, he could have gone to ESF. Because of timing and being gr.10, we are hitting a big wall here. I am seriously condering not to bring him, but then I need to find a homestay, and you never know what teens would do, though my son is mature and independent.

as for Delia, I've heard that there are many delia schools (some are locals). is the one in Taikoo not international? i thought it was.

if new private ESF renaissance college in ma on shan would accept my son, then the problem will dissolve. he can walk to school and i can take KCR for 20min to KLT (if I find an apartment there).

Quote Originally Posted by dalene722:
    Hi jenkenmax,
    Thanks for the info. I will narrow my search areas.
    As for my dog, I have taken care of permission and health certificate and shots, but besides that, whatelse do I need for pet mover service? If you know something, please tell me more.
    you can visit these websites :
    www.aero-pet.com
    www.export-a-pet.com
    www.ferndalekennels.com
    www.internationalpettravel.com
    www.petmovershk.com
    www.wishyouwereherehk.com

hi Carang. Yea basically if it's deemed a critical year i.e. GCSE or A level examination years then they won't accept them. they have to wait until a new year. Any form below 10, as far as i know they will accept them mid-term.

that sucks! (grade 9 ok, grade 10 not)

hope that it all works out for you!

dalene722 sorry yea the things i heard were specifically about tai koo delia. haha and yes i may be biased about ESF but Itl schools are just as good. they're a lot larger than ESF. have you tried Shatin College? Haven't heard of Ma on shan although it's prob becasue very far away!

Secondary Gr.10

yes, it is really bad that gr. 10 goes no where. Shatin college was the one I called first and said no. There should be a document warning expats relocating to HK that they should not have kids in grade 10 My hair keeps falling out and i will be bald long before I get to HK.

jen24 and carang thanks for your sympathy.

jenkenmax thanks for the links for pets.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast