Like Tree3Likes

Caine Road or Hollywood Road or Star Street?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Caine Road or Hollywood Road or Star Street?

I've been looking at several apartments and trying to decide the best place to live. Saw a few that I like so far...on Caine Road, Hollywood Road and Star Street. I work in Cheung Kong Center and want to take a taxi or walk (depending on time/weather), so which of these 3 locations would have 1) most taxis available in the morning, 2) shortest time to work (least traffic)? Also important is having these within a 2 minute walk: 7-11/OK, Wellcome/ParknShop, laundry mat, HSBC ATM, cheap local restaurants/fast food, bus stop, foot massage place, Watsons/Mannings. I know Caine Rd has all of this but not sure about Star Street...didn't see a supermarket nearby.

Hollywood Road has everything you require

i'd prefer caine road coz i live there it is pretty convenient and has almost everything you need on a daily basis (except for a HSBC / hang seng atm)

the only prob is traffic- it can be quite hard to catch public transport during rush hour. my sis works at the CK building too and she has to leave around or before 830am to get a seat or catch an empty cab from the ladder street end

you can certainly walk to CK building from caine road - hollywood road - wyndham street - ice house street - ck tower. it can be a pleasant walk IF the weather is good

i think there are some small supermarkets on hollywood road towards the sheung wan end ...

not familiar with the star street area as i dont go there very often. i think there is a welcome right next to the tram stop opposite the funny triangular church, which shouldn't not too far from star street

I live on Kennedy road but the steps to my building lead to Star Street and I really love the convenience of living here. I don't usually take a taxi anywhere so can't say how easy they are to get but I see a lot of them around. MTR is very close (Admiralty). Also, Wellcome is very close by, as well as a lot of local restaurants. The HSBC I go to is the one near Taste on Queens Road East at Hopewell.

We also lived temporarily on Hollywood road and that is close to everything. I just didn't like the amount of space you get for the money there though!

SalseroHK likes this.

I would echo the point on getting public transport in the morning from the Soho area. Also remember Caine Road is closed to traffic (except buses) one way until at least 7pm (I think) which makes catching a taxi home if you leave work early a rather roundabout route. Same goes for Hollywood Rd as well, which is always one way

SalseroHK likes this.

There's TASTE supermarket in Hopewell Centre, which should be close enough for you, if you live on star street. There are bunch of 7-11, laundry shops, local markets in and around that area and of course you can take number 6/6x/66 bus to work to CKC.

Star Street is also walkable (10-15mins) to Cheung Kong Building, you can go via the air conditioned path via Pacific Shopping Mall or catch trams, buses, taxis.

Quote Originally Posted by cow1201:
    i'd prefer caine road coz i live there it is pretty convenient and has almost everything you need on a daily basis (except for a HSBC / hang seng atm)
    There's one in the 7-11:
    27 Caine Road (7-Eleven) EasiService Banking Centre
    7-Eleven, G/F, 27 Caine Road, Hong Kong.
    cow1201 likes this.

Caine Rd also has a Wellcome, a Park 'n' Shop, Il Belle Paese, a few bakeries and local eateries, a couple of 7-Elevens and a Circle K.

It is also closer to SoHo and LKF. There are several bus stops along Caine Road from where you can take buses that will stop at the corner of Lower Albert Road and Garden Road which is a few steps from Cheung Kong Tower. I think one of them is the 40M, and perhaps also the 40 but I would suggest you look that up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

There are no supermarkets on Hollywood Rd itself. You'll either have to go up to Caine Rd or down to Queen's Rd. That said, plenty (too many...) 7-11s along there and laundries up various side streets, more coffee shops opening up along the more western end, loads already at the eastern end. Nearest HSBC for the western end is on Possession St, eastern end Lyndhurst Terrace.

All three options have easy access to shopping/cinema (walk from Star St to Pacific Place/Wan Chai or walk from Caine Rd/Hollywood Rd to Central/IFC).

I'd vote for Hollywood Rd - relatively quiet road, easy walk into town, walk to Soho/LKF and home again for nights out, independent shops/art galleries around that area. Caine Rd has same accessibility but not the same character I don't think so depends what you're after. Star St area's lovely too though...tough choice...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast