Like Tree9Likes

Can't get rent out of this tenant!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I gave the links for what you can do legally. Are you asking about illegal action(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I gave the links for what you can do legally. Are you asking about illegal action(s)?
    Oh dear me - no. I was thinking along the lines of distraining his goods. Or perhaps taking any further action if he still continues saying he has no money.

dont bother trying to recoup your lost rent. get him out asap and find a new tenant.

Boofit likes this.

I agree with dumbdonkey, get rid of this tenant as soon as possible. Its best to go through the proper channels which would be lands tribunal for now.

I strongly suggest you do not cut off any utilities, change locks, threaten them or otherwise harrass them as the law is very clear that this is not permitted - even if the tenant deserves it or is otherwise not paying their way. The only way is through the system, by the book.

Boofit likes this.

the law favours the tenant. dont do anything stupid and dont drag this through the courts. you'll always lose. i'll even pay him to move out.

Boofit likes this.

Thanks - I guess I will go the Lands Tribunal route. Insofar as paying the tenant to leave, I don't think it is something I can do because it doesn't feel right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    the law favours the tenant. dont do anything stupid and dont drag this through the courts. you'll always lose. i'll even pay him to move out.
    Absolute BOLLOCKS.

The tribunal takes only a few days, maybe a week.
    The proceedings are EX PARTE. That means the tenant knows nothing about you going to court. The bailiffs can be instructed at the hearing and they immediately go round to the address and WILL force entry if needed under the protection of the court order. You should mention the property is being used for commercial purposes. It then matters not that its his " home ".

They will then sit in the property 24rs every day and safeguard all the goods inside. The tenant is NOT allowed to remove anything. If they don't pay the rent ( + charges and a per day charge for the bailiff sitting ) then they will sell the contents of the apartment to recover the debt + costs.

If that favours the tenant then I am Elvis Presley.

Before Dumb Horses Arse tries a smart reply I should point out I know this from painful personal experience when we had a dispute with our LL ( Warf Holding @ World Finance Centre TST ) and withheld rent in lieu. This in my first 6 months here when I thought that things operated as in UK. Not on your Nelly and within 21 days of the rent not paid, the bailiffs where at the door..
    Last edited by Boris; 05-10-2010 at 10:06 PM.