Like Tree12Likes

Unsafe villages in NT ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I quite like mosquitoes. It's the other NT parasites (idle village landlords who get government land for free) that bother me.

If you're A light sleeper then avoid village houses as the constant dog barking will drive you nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    If you're A light sleeper then avoid village houses as the constant dog barking will drive you nuts.
    luckily, there are few dogs in my village, the noise of insects (surprisingly loud) in the summer and frogs on rainy days irritated me at first, until you get used of it

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Boris
    1) Living in a village is great and if you believe all the urban myth then your .................
    Locals I have lived with as neighbours enjoy having foreigners in the village and we have always felt very comfortable.
    2) Mosquitoes. You get them everywhere. We live in the tropics. Buying a HKD75 UV fly zapper and have bug mesh on the windows and your good to go.
    3) Triads - are not interested in you and don't behave like village enforcers, they are too busy doing their triad stuff elsewhere. Don't s**t where you live is the rule.
    4) Use a small agency that has an office near where you choose to live. Use many agencies as one will not have all available in the area. The big agencies are full of kids who don't usually know the answers to the questions you need to ask. They have only the higher priced stock and maybe have a smaller selection that the independents.
    5) Ask difficult questions , get a conveyancer who has particular experience with NT Village sales. Not all do. Have them confirm everything the agents have told you and anything you have concerns about, like " added value car park " issues.
    6) Illegal structures - will be flagged by the legal process but are the norm here. In my village 2 miles from the area government offices who deal with these things, 95% of the houses have illegal structures. There is no investment by HKG in NT government offices to give them the ability to do anything meaningful about it. Don't sweat it and use it as a way of getting the price down.

If you want to look up in the Tai Po area then PM and would be glad to give you some leads to decent areas and agents. My wife worked in the business until our daughter arrived and we know the area well.
    Overall good post but just on Point 2: NO > I am on an high rise and I have never seen in 4 years one mosquitoes in my flat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Overall good post but just on Point 2: NO > I am on an high rise and I have never seen in 4 years one mosquitoes in my flat.
    apparrently they can not fly above 20 storey high, hence why high rise apartment rarely have mosquitoes, however, apparently there is a remotec chance that the mosquito catch the lift (don't laugh, apparently it's true, like stowaway rats on a ship or insects on rafts to seek new lands in the south pacific)

village house living

If you have kids village house living is great though the barking dogs are really annoying we are now at Maple Gardens the same roundabout as Fairview Park and its heaps better. Its like living in a townhouse with a great garden huge wall fence security guards who know your name they spray for mossies a lot so its not to bad and because we don't have a parknshop (5 minutes to Fairview Park or Palm Springs) the prices are great and the traffic flow is is basically residents only so very quiet and the highway makes travelling easier. And the best thing is you can park 2 cars at your door. Just food for thought.

kathleenhk likes this.

I will also say that dogs are by far the biggest problem. All day and all night. You cannot do anything about it, except count down the days until your lease expires.

Do yourself a favour and look into managed estates in CWB and SK, they do keep things under control and not all of them are "expat package" only prices.

Sadly I think the Villages here could have been the jewel of HK, but they are just an eyesore, where anything goes with regards planning.

I wouldn't be afraid of triads: if they bully people, they bully everyone, regardless of skincolor.
    And if you decide to buy a house in those so called 'gardens' you don't have to worry at all about being discriminated against.

Haven't had dog problems myself, my neighbours dog used to bark every night at 1:30 sharp. I joked to my gf that it's seeing ghosts hehe. But more likely it's barking at someone returning home from his late shift. I talked to my neighbour and he now keeps his dog inside at night - problem solved.

I absolutely hate mosquitoes though - they always bite me and not my gf! some years are worse than others though. but two weeks ago it was a living nightmare: i found an entire swarm inside my bathroom and toilet. (I ended up killing around 20, thankfully they were giants and easy to hit) Do those UV buzzers really work? (and where to buy them?)

Quote Originally Posted by reprazent
    Do those UV buzzers really work? (and where to buy them?)
    Not the buzzer things. The UV light inside an electrical cage ... and yes they do. You can buy tennis racquet type swatters that work on the same zapper principle powered by a battery. Got our light at PriceRite and they have various models. Best HKD75 I ever spent that wasn't in a bottle.
    Herngju likes this.

Try Sha Lan Villas in Tai Po (you can look it up in Google Maps). We have quite a few foreigners taking "permanant" residence here. It is a very unique and quiet community with resident from various fields of profession - doctor, engineer, professor, accoutant, bussiness owner etc.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenhk
    Good morning !

I have been browsing this site for a few days, and finally decided to take the plunge and register Thank you in advance for your understanding !

After almost a decade spent renting flats in various parts of HK (Pokfulam, Sai Wan Ho...), Hubbie and I have decided to buy a house in the N.T.

We heard that buying a village house could be dangerous, as some villagers don't seem to accept foreigners, or try to extort money as parking fees...Rumour has it that same place are plagued by the local triads, that would try to drive away any foreigners so that they can operate their illegal activities in peace....

Any of you Seniors Forummers has information and could comment ? I guess that there must be some villages that are to be avoided, and others that are clean/safe/foreigners friendly ? Could we try to make a list of them please /

Your feedback will be highly appreciated

Kathleen
    kathleenhk likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast