Like Tree1Likes

New Territories to HK Island - living and commute

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

sorry, i didn't see that you'd included the timing. i wasn't disputing you, i just couldn't be bothered to google for the exact time.

Yes - I've been catching that line a lot to and from hikes recently, and the contrast with every other line in the system is huge. Even on East/West rail the maximum interval is 5 minutes. The step to 8 minutes doesn't sound like a lot, but it crosses the line at which the wait quite often becomes irritating.

(And yes, I know I've been spoiled by the system here when compared to those in almost all other major cities)

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    The Eastern Tunnel and then along the expressway, but CityBus/NWFB think it takes 70 minutes from Tai Po to Central, so 30 to Wanchai seems a bit of an exaggeration.
    You sound like my wife. She didn't believe me either until she caught it one day and was astonished how quickly she got there. Granted, off peak travel I'm talking about.

I've done it in 25 mins before but that was exceptional. Usual journey time between 30-35 mins (and by the way I don't catch from the Tai Po Central terminus which would add 10-15 mins to my journey).

Quote Originally Posted by stones10:
    Hi,
    After reading a lot of the forums and looking at various property sites, it seems the New Territories is where you get better bang for your buck with regards to space, greenery, etc. We would like a three bedroom probably with parking space and club facilities. Our budget is about 20-30,000.
    The car will be left with my wife (and child) while I take public transport to work near Wanchai. I guess we are looking for somewhere where the commute home is no longer than the 30 - 40 minutes mark...or am I dreaming?? Any suggestions on how we could narrow this down to some locations in NT that are pretty good?
    (Obviously if we could find all of the above on HK Island we would be happy but this seems to be limited at our budget).
    Thanks.
    Perfectly possible. GoldCoast (bit longer), Sham Tseng (within 30.40 minutes), Tung Chung....

Quote Originally Posted by Pekkerhead:
    You sound like my wife.
    Just to avoid any confusion, I'm the one with the beard!

But OK, last stop in the NTs to first stop in Wanchai could be 30-35mins given the 15 or so minutes for the extra bits at each end of the route.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Just to avoid any confusion, I'm the one with the beard!

But OK, last stop in the NTs to first stop in Wanchai could be 30-35mins given the 15 or so minutes for the extra bits at each end of the route.
    eh, I though SHE was the one with the beard!? aargh

Fortunately, since I haven't had the pleasure of snogging anyone for several months I think I can be certain we haven't made a major faux pas.

Tseung Kwan O, Po Lam, Hang Hau, Lohas Park, Tiu Keng Leng all within 30mins and within your budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Pekkerhead:
    Tai Po has lots of apartment complexes with 3 bedroom places (and all the clubhouse facilities) well within your budget. Plus there is an express bus - the 307 - that gets me into Wanchai in about 30 mins. It runs along Kwong Fuk Road and the first stop after getting HK side is Fleming Road next to Wanchai Police Station.
    yes, is it possible 30 mins from wan chai's lockhart rd (normal hrs) or cwb hennesy rd ( night minibus) to taipo but only on certain times when it's quiet on the rd, ie, after 10pm or before 7am, the speed average around motorway is around 90kmph, sometimes touching 120kmph!, even 70ish kmph on smaller rd. very dangerous, but fast.

but on rush hr, expect closer 50mins

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    sometimes touching 120kmph!
    You've never lived in a country where 120kph (75mph) is a very normal speed on a motorway have you?