Like Tree1Likes

New Territories to HK Island - living and commute

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

New Territories to HK Island - living and commute

Hi,
    After reading a lot of the forums and looking at various property sites, it seems the New Territories is where you get better bang for your buck with regards to space, greenery, etc. We would like a three bedroom probably with parking space and club facilities. Our budget is about 20-30,000.
    The car will be left with my wife (and child) while I take public transport to work near Wanchai. I guess we are looking for somewhere where the commute home is no longer than the 30 - 40 minutes mark...or am I dreaming?? Any suggestions on how we could narrow this down to some locations in NT that are pretty good?
    (Obviously if we could find all of the above on HK Island we would be happy but this seems to be limited at our budget).
    Thanks.

yep, dreaming... you would need closer to an hour if you're not driving. (at the minimum).

i live in sai kung country park. i pay less than $17k rent. we have 5 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 car parks.
    BUT:
    we don't have:
    club facilities
    frequent public transport options
    it takes me 45 minutes to drive to central, about an50m- hour to wanchai (depends on where). via public transport, it's closer to 1.5-2 hours.

you COULD get something on the other side of sai kung town (closer to hk island). that would cut 30-45 minutes off of the commute to wanchai. if you looked between sai kung town and hang hau MTR, that would cut quite a bit out of the commute, but it would also cut down on what you get for your $.

Tai Po has lots of apartment complexes with 3 bedroom places (and all the clubhouse facilities) well within your budget. Plus there is an express bus - the 307 - that gets me into Wanchai in about 30 mins. It runs along Kwong Fuk Road and the first stop after getting HK side is Fleming Road next to Wanchai Police Station.

which tunnel does that bus run through? that's shockingly fast! they must speed the entire way?

The Eastern Tunnel and then along the expressway, but CityBus/NWFB think it takes 70 minutes from Tai Po to Central, so 30 to Wanchai seems a bit of an exaggeration.

It goes so fast it actually caught fire one day when I was on it!

It goes through Tate's Cairn Tunnel. It makes one stop there at the entrance, and then another just before the Eastern Harbour tunnel. So basically two stops between Tai Po and Wanchai. The only problem is frequency - off peak every 30 mins, peak every 20.

However, if you want to continue on board to Central you can add another 15 minutes because that's when it slows down.

doesn't it get held up at the eastern tunnel during rush hour? i know i've spent 10-15 minutes at times from before the toll booth to getting out the other side.

where in wanchai does it stop? does it have to take the Happy Valley exit off of Island Eastern Corridor? if so, doesn't it get stuck there, too?

ps> i'm not saying you're lying.... just that i drive A LOT in hk, and i don't think i could make it from tai po to wanchai in 30 minutes and i've got a lead foot...

Quote Originally Posted by stones10
    Hi,
    After reading a lot of the forums and looking at various property sites, it seems the New Territories is where you get better bang for your buck with regards to space, greenery, etc. We would like a three bedroom probably with parking space and club facilities. Our budget is about 20-30,000.
    The car will be left with my wife (and child) while I take public transport to work near Wanchai. I guess we are looking for somewhere where the commute home is no longer than the 30 - 40 minutes mark...or am I dreaming?? Any suggestions on how we could narrow this down to some locations in NT that are pretty good?
    (Obviously if we could find all of the above on HK Island we would be happy but this seems to be limited at our budget).
    Thanks.
    I have never been there, but maybe YOHO Town in Yuen Long is a possibility. 41 minutes on the MTR to Wan Chai, so when you add in walking and waiting times I guess the real commute is likely to be 50-60 minutes.

Tsing Yi is closer (26 minutes on the MTR) and I expect you will find some apartments with clubhouse in your budget there too.

and tsing yi is only 20-ish minutes to wanchai on the mtr.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast