Like Tree1Likes

Moving to HK: Ma On Shan or Sai Kung?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If hubby is only going to be on duty a few times a month, another excellent lifestyle location that is worth consideration is Shek O, rents are similar to Sai Kung as is the community that lives there, and you have one of the best public beaches within 5 minutes walk of your house. Your kids will LOVE it. No MTR though, but they do have regular public light mini buses into town.
    Shek O - Google Search

Clearwater bay is another option which is also part of the Sai Kung district, only the more expensive gated villa complexes have communal pools as a majority rule, very occasionally do private residences have their own in ground pool which when they do, will command a 50K pm plus rent, and rents are on the increase at the moment. If an on site pool isn't a priority, then you will have a much larger and more affordable range of housing to choose from.

The advantage with Clearwater bay, is that parts of it that are close to the International super market, are very conveniently located to the Hang Hau MTR station by public light mini bus, only 10 minutes away etc. Factor in also that Clearwater bay has a great swimming beach, a country club http://www.cwbgolf.org/public/index.aspx that you can join plus there are a number of sports facilities in Sai Kung Town a short drive/ taxi ride away, as are 2 yacht clubs. http://www.rhkyc.org.hk/files/downlo...Ahoy!Mar06.pdf http://www.hhyc.org.hk/ For families with kids, Clearwater bay and Sai Kung Town are hard to beat, plus your kids will make friends easily, with a multicultural ( inc locals ) array of children in their age group living nearby. Just like back home .

Sai Kung Magazine Explore Sai Kung

Last edited by Skyhook; 19-10-2010 at 12:51 AM.

If kids want a pool, the one in the GC is one of the largest I have seen in HK and does not appear to shut in winter (I'm in the Marina so not Phase 2, but I play squash there next to the pool and never noticed it drained like all the others in HK... but you might want to check.) Many pools here are closed in late October and reopen in April ... dispite the fact that many of us westerners only consider about 2 weeks in february at all cold here!

Also, I don't know if youa are an 'early' or a late person, but I took the GC bus to Central at 7:05am this morning (for the first time) and was pretty impressed to arrive in only 25 minutes.

I thought the GC one shuts in winter because when we were looking to move to this area I remember being told this and this being one of the factors against GC but not 100% sure.

Across the road in Aegean Coast have an indoor swimming pool that is open all year around and an outdoor one that closes for winter (it is already partially closed) its not as big as the GC one mind.

Quote Originally Posted by London2HK:
    I thought the GC one shuts in winter because when we were looking to move to this area I remember being told this and this being one of the factors against GC but not 100% sure.

Across the road in Aegean Coast have an indoor swimming pool that is open all year around and an outdoor one that closes for winter (it is already partially closed) its not as big as the GC one mind.
    I'm not 100% sure either ... there is also a 'semi' indoor one in the GC - open one end, if I recall, I only saw it once, that may stay open at minimum. Not huge but bigger than many hk appt pools!

sai kung has a great public pool. my kids use it 3-4 times/week from may-september.

It's the 682 bus from Ma on Shan to Tai Koo Shing...

As for sports activities, you should check out the Ma On Shan swimming pool! It's got masses of rides as well as the athletic pool. It's right next to the sports centre and the library (always see masses of kids hanging around there).

I guess it depends on what you want really but I'm an advocate for Ma On Shan

Tai Po is also a good alternative. I like Tai Po a lot....

Clear water bay should be for you as skyhook mentioned. very close to the city (hanghau) but far enough to not notice it, Hanghau has a very large cycling track surronding it and you can cycle all the way to Po Lam & Tseung Kwan O. Large public swimming pool in between Hang Hau and Po Lam.

By MTR it will take you aprox 15 min to tai koo and 30 mins to central. your husband being a pilot can afford to take a discount taxi whenever he has a flight, my usual driver takes a lot of pilots from clear water bay to the airport, it costs $250 one way all tolls inclusive.

Skyhook likes this.