Tipping the maid etc. (serviced apt)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Tipping the maid etc. (serviced apt)

Hi!

I just moved in at Shama, Peel St and will stay in HK for 3 months. I got an introduction to the apt by the maid and another person helped me with my bags. I had not gotten any HK $'s yet so the day after I left $100 each for them. (my company pays 35,700/month for the apt)

Was that tip expected, too little, too much or just right? I come from Sweden and am not used to maid service etc.

I will search but if you feel like answering here: how much should I tip if 1) I eat lunch for $100 2) I eat dinner at a restaurant for $200-400.

/Niklas

Far, far too much.

1) None - unless the service is in some way exceptional
    2) None - unless the service is in some way exceptional

Do not tip at restaurants, there is a service charge added to the bill instead.

Thanks for the answers! I got a bit messed up while in New York a couple of years ago. Always felt I had tipped too little in the beginning so I started over-doing it...

U really tip too much for the maid at the service apartment. HKD$20 note is enough. For restuarant, even though they have 10%services charges, local people here tips another HK$20-30 depending on the rank/class of the restuarant. But if you don't tip the waiter/waitress, it is not a deadly act. Don't worry if you decide not to tip.

Ok, time to leave next week so now I woud like to tip my maid when I go. She has done a very good job I think and also been very nice and pro-active rgd heater and all sorts of small things. Always very nice and asking how I've been etc. Is $200 off the charts? Maybe $100 is OK?

PS. I do not agree with the people that think that if one gweilo tips too much he will ruin tipping in Asia for the rest who does not like to tip.

As a side note: I have had bad luck with food in the beginning that totally crashed my stomach + very stressful time at work here. In Jan and Feb I was home for 4-5 days twice and the last 6-7 weeks I 've been sick 1-2 days every week (often weekends). Started the day by having to throw up and mostly combined with diorrhea... Over quickly but left feeling very worn out. Not too much beer during my stay here due to that. The city is great so I hope to get the chance to come back again!

Last edited by nikasp; 21-04-2007 at 06:25 PM.

Niclas
    Your maid makes $5000.00 per month. do you really think leaving her $200.00 is too much?

I used to give them $100.00 per week when I lived i na serviced apartment and I bought cakes and cookies and bags of candy every week for the lobby staff.

Actually I have read people being bashed in different forums, including this one I think, about 'stupid westerners coming here and not adjusting to the, almost no, tipping habits in Asia'. I have therefor tipped $20 here and $40 there and think I left $100 in lai see after asking on this board. You are giving the absolute opposite view which I do not think is bad in any way. I know you're a 'frequent flyer' on this board too

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma
    Niclas
    Your maid makes $5000.00 per month. do you really think leaving her $200.00 is too much?

I used to give them $100.00 per week when I lived i na serviced apartment and I bought cakes and cookies and bags of candy every week for the lobby staff.
    Last edited by nikasp; 21-04-2007 at 10:02 PM.

No disrespect meant but I think you will find the English are most likely to ask you not to tip. I've been here for years and years and really, most people (nonlocal) do tip.

Quote Originally Posted by goodkarma
    most people (nonlocal) do tip.
    Rubbish - most people you mix with perhaps, but that's hardly a valid statistical cross-section.

But all the people who hang around you must be pleased to see that you have, yet again, not actually left town this month as you promised. But then they've heard that so many times I guess they just put it down to senility now, much like Clare and her dispatches.
    Last edited by PDLM; 22-04-2007 at 01:03 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast