Which area is best for accommodation on a budget?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by amorph
    Well I don't even need that much space - but if that equation means that I could get a 300sqft place for 4k in a place halfway from Tuen Mun to Central, that would be just about perfect... I would still like to live in some sort of urban area. I love the NT villages for day trips, but at this point in my life (I'm still pretty young...) I'd want to be closer to the city for obvious reasons. But of course I know that it's very difficult in HK on that budget. I am just trying to figure out some ballpark numbers before I arrive.
    Tuen Mun is hardly a village. And the buses run there all night. Are you going to be out partying EVERY night? Or is it better to have space and convenience 90% of the time, and just tag an extra cost or time on to your benders once in a while? It only takes 30 minutes to get to Tuen Mun from Central in a taxi. Or about 45 mins on a express bus. Hardly a huge penalty.

Oh, no, Tuen Mun proper is still okay, I just assumed HKChigger meant more remote places around that area - quite frankly I didn't know you could get that much space for that price in Tuen Mun itself.

Quote Originally Posted by amorph
    Oh, no, Tuen Mun proper is still okay, I just assumed HKChigger meant more remote places around that area - quite frankly I didn't know you could get that much space for that price in Tuen Mun itself.
    You will get a lot more for $4000 in Tuen Mun than Sheung Wan, but it depends where your priorities are. If partying is important don't bother, stay in the city. If you want space and comfort move to Tuen Mun. I think that is the best way to decide.

even the rent in shatin is pretty high, but you more than likely to get 350 sq ft for HK$4k, than 200 sq ft in sheung wan!

possibly cheaper places would include sham shui po, kwun tong, ma tau wai and even parts of hung hom

i have two cousins, each of them paying not more than $5k/month. one lives in Tin Hau (i think) and the other in Kowloon City. VERY small accomodations. the one on HK island has a studio. the one in Kowloon City has actual bedrooms (2 of them) but both are VERY small, as is the "living room"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2