Work in Harbour City - where to live?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Work in Harbour City - where to live?

Im moving next yr for a one yr assignment. My work is in Tsim Sha Tsui. I am mid 30's and female from London. I dont know anyone in HK..I have lots of friends in UK. Need to live somewhere I can make friends, but dont want to be too far from work. Any suggestions?
    Going this week to see real estate but no idea what areas to ask for!
    Thanks

At the end of the day, it's about how much you are willing to spend! The good news is that HK is a very very safe city, even the sketchier parts is actually safe to live in. And that the city itself is geographically small. You can be like the other expats and live in the mid levels/sheung wan where there's easy access to bars to drown your bitterness of being alone (and random hookups!).

Or you can try the more "Chinese" Kowloon side and save a little bit more in rent. Since I have no idea what your budget is, I will just throw out a whole bunch of suggestions to confuse you more! Actually, just stay in West Kowloon. It's on a metro stop, near central, near Harbour City and is also a airport express station so you can get out of the city in no time! If I recall, besides the public transportation there's actually a free shuttle bus between the elements mall in westkowloon to Harbour city, or just walk there in 20 minutes.

I'm not a real estate agent or anything, but you can PM/post in here for more questions. Like all cities in the world, people will endlessly debate about their district etc. As long as you got the cash to spend money in this shoebox city, you should be fine.

You can live in Tsim Sha Tsui (big range of flats from very cheap bedsits to expensive serviced apartments) and be able to walk to work. However, you might find it too busy / crowded / commercial. For the first couple of weeks just stay in a hotel / serviced apartment and decide which area you actually like.

Thanks!! No idea of budget yet but imagine it will extend to a serviced apartment. I guess I need to decide what's important to me..nightlife or being close to work! Might have more of am idea of things after next wk hopefully!
    Posted via Mobile Device

You don' t really meet people based on where you live, but based on what you DO in your free time. There are heaps and heaps of ways to meet people (locals or expats) during your free time if you sign up to event such as those found on meetup.com (search for Hong Kong) or other forums (meet and greet here) or other organisations (Amcham, other national associations etc). Which means that where you live needs to be convenient - for work and for going to wherever you are going to meet these other people, which is not necessarily LKF depending on your interests! (I NEVER go there, I meet people hiking, which is all over the place and living in any one place is inconvenient for some hikes and great for others).

Budget is a big deal. Accommodation here is very expensive and tiny for the money. If you care about having some space, and if you like to see some greenery out of the window rather than a concrete jungle, then you'll have to start making compromises between convenience, budget, space and surroundings. All of which is pretty hard to do without being here.

Cheers! Just been told I can go up to 17k a mth. Not sure what that means really as need to see agent this week but at least its a guideline! Ive been here 2 days now and am convinced being on the island might be more convenient - but just need to narrow it down to somewhere that is REALLY easy for transport to TST. Any ideas? Im a wimp so being out in the heat walking might kill me on way to work..and equally dont want to spend hours commuting when I can spend that time finding new friends!
    Hiking sounds fab as I do that in the UK..so will def look into that! Thanks for the tips!

If you work in TST, it would be more convenient to live on the Kowloon side? Usually people living on the island rarely set foot on kowloon ground or vice versa. They rather stick to their 'safezone'. Ofcourse it depends what kind of friends you want to make. Do you plan to blend in and meet local people too? Or do you want to stay expat exclusive?

Not sure WHY you think that living on the island would be more convenient. More convenient for what? If you let us know what you think you will be missing on the kowloon side we can let you know if that's real or just a perception!

Hmmm not sure what I mean really by convenient - I guess ive been listening to all the people Ive met here so far, who know my age and think Id have more fun being on the Island. When Ive then said Kowloon sounds nice, theyve all said "oh a single young girl like you would like mid-levels more"...so I guess I need to find out why! (Im not really a club girl..more a nice drink and a meal girl!). I want to make all sorts of friends here - but I would also like to meet a lot of expats as they will understand what Im dealing with if I ever have a lonely day! Ive just been looking at things on the net and am starting to like the sound of Kowloon. I can always jump on a ferry/in a cab if I need to have an island night out, right?

If you are not a club kind of person there is NO REASON AT ALL to live on the Island - it's only really the clubs that are more on the island and less on kowloon side. There are great restaurants on both sides (as well as a fair number of not-so-great restaurants!). And yes, it's a cab ride away at worst. Everything else is equal - plenty of shopping both sides, beaches both sides (in different places obviously), more hiking on kowloon side but there is plenty on hki side too.

Go for convenience on what you will do alot (travel to work etc) and save money (kowloon side is much cheaper) so you can save for the odd cab ride or something else you might value more (or just get a bigger place).

What else do you value to help make decisions?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast