seeking suggestions on where to settle in HK

Closed Thread

seeking suggestions on where to settle in HK

My wife and I are permanent HKID holders, we have been living in Bangkok for 5 years, and will be moving back to HK in early 2011. We are wondering where we should settle this time.

Before we moved to Bangkok, we lived in Laguna City and had an office in Kwun Tong. (My wife and I own a business.) We will need a similar arrangement this time -- a residence and an office nearby, within walking distance is best. We will consider living in Laguna City and working in Kwun Tong again this time, but maybe there are better alternatives at a lower cost.

We would consider Yuen Long or Tuen Mun. Or Sai Kung.

We could buy or rent.

Since moving from Hong Kong, our family became three -- we have a son, now 2.5 years old. So the availability of a good English preschool or play school is essential.

Living with other expats is NOT a requirement. (I am a Caucasian American and my wife is Canadian Chinese.)

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Thanks for the info, but it's not enough! If you need to live by your office, what is your work and is it location dependent?
    If you are entirely flexible re location - what else do you like? Beaches, shops, parks, transport etc etc?
    I know there is an english preschool group in the gold coast, by the way, because I know the woman who runs it - that's close to Tuen Mun, which is a cheap yet very convenient place to live. But without knowing your preferences, pretty hard to help.

hey MovingIn07,

Work is not location dependent. We have a factory in Zhuhai. She runs the place, I design the products. Managing the factory from Bangkok has worked, but she wants to move back to Hong Kong to shorten her commute and make it easier to go on a moment's notice.

One consideration is how long it would take to get to a ferry terminal (China Hong Kong City in TST or the Macao terminal on the HK side) from where we live. She suggested Yuen Long as a possibility, but I suspect the MTR ride would be longer than she thinks.

Neither of us are beach people, nor are we shoppers.

Thanks,

if u choose to live in yuen long,
    it would take you 30mins from yuen long to austin station by MTR,
    and it's 10mins walk from austin station to China-HK Ferry,

you may consider living in macao,
    travelling from macao to zhuhai should be better,
    the environment in Taipa is not bad

If Zhuhai, have you considered living in Macau?

fatpoon & bookblogger,

We have not considered Macau because we want our son to get a HK permanent ID card, and since he was born in Bangkok not Hong Kong, he will need to live in Hong Kong for 7 years.

Otherwise, Macau would be good.

Thanks,

I'd go for somewhere in the NT near Tuen Mun or Yuen Long - there are plenty of nice places around here that are much cheaper than closer to the Island, there are english preschools around, and travel to the ferry is not that bad (30 mins on a train has got to be better than hours in a plane!). You'd also be closer to SHenzhen if that helps. You might look at Gold Coast (near Tuen Mun - a little more expensive than Tuen Mun proper though); or Fairview Park near Yuen Long (quite a large community with buses to all sorts of places, apparently quite nice) - or just look at the other local estates or village houses. If you get a village house, you can use one floor as your office and then live in another one perhaps. MIght be very cost effective.

Or look at the developments in and around Olympic, 5 minutes by taxi to the tst ferry terminal.
    Posted via Mobile Device