Like Tree1Likes

Serviced Apartments Under 15K, urgent advice needed!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Serviced Apartments Under 15K, urgent advice needed!

Hi,

I started a thread about a month ago I think, I said I was moving to HK in Jan 2011 for 3 months, and was looking for advice about serviced apartments.

My budget I decided was HKD 15,000 per month.

Our office is in Central, and people warned it is very expensive here.

I found a website link that had a lot of serviced apartment companies in Hong Kong, both Island side and Kowloon, so I emailed all of them that were within my budget.

I have found that:

A) They are way too expensive
    B) They are way too small
    C) They are very far from Central

I am in Hong Kong this week, I arrived on 6th, and go back to the UK on 14th.

I had only arranged 2 viewings prior to arrival, The first place I visited was The Lodge in Kowloon on Jordan Road, by V Serviced Apartments, at just under HKD 15,000. Although this place was apparently 450 sq ft, it was tiny, and not very nice either, this place was a definite no as soon as the door to the apartment was opened. On the website it looked very modern and nice, I would class this as very false advertising as it was awful compared to the website pics.

The 2nd place not far from there was Hillwood Vista on Austin Road, this place was 550 sq ft with a study, and very spacious, it looked about 4 times bigger than The Lodge!

But this place is HKD 16,000, as the lower priced lower floor rooms are sold out now. This place also doesn't include water/electricity in the monthly cost, or maid service to clean the bed sheets/towels, which you also have to provide yourself. Most places I saw included water/electricity in the monthly cost, and also included maid service, so when I consider the extra costs involved, and the fact that I have to wash the towels/sheets myself, I am slightly put off now, as the overall price will be higher than HKD 16,000. But based on size and the apartment itself, I would be very happy to live there.

Since I have been here I have emailed other companies, and again have found they are too small (under 400 sq ft), or too expensive (over HKD 20,000).

I fly home on Sunday and I have only got Hillwood as an option so far!

I am viewing a Central Park hotel serviced apartment tomorrow, as I am staying in this hotel this week, as it is close to the office. They have a room with no window, which looks small, but is HKD 16,000 per month, and includes water/electricity/maid service etc.

So this option would be very convenient, as it is a 15 minute walk from the office in Central, on Hollywood Road.

Has anyone got any last minute suggestions for me though, that I could check out tomorrow?

I would need quick responses please, as time is running out fast!

Thank you!

Last edited by Boybranik; 11-11-2010 at 04:20 PM.

your first problem is thinking you can get a large serviced apartment that is new and modern and nice within walking distance to central or TST for under 15K. What gave you that impression?

im not sure what to tell you...as i was recently looking to rent/buy in those areas and it seemed anything half way decent was over 15-20K for non-serviced places...

add in the servicing and you got yourself much more $$$ or much smaller size.

Last edited by BenderBends; 11-11-2010 at 04:30 PM.

If it's just you coming here, then I would suck it and see for a month as the sizes of the apartments here are all pretty small and as Bender has stated you cannot get a large serviced place within the range you have set yourself.

Shama, Harmonium, Treasure View or Ovolo might be alternatives - but don't fret about the travel too much. As long as you an get near a MTR station for the 1st month you should be ok travelwise.

Try this place,
    Excellent Court - Hostel, Suite, Apartment, Guest-house, Accommodation, Service apartment, Hotel, Property

I stayed here for 2 months shortly after i arrived.
    14K per month and everything included.
    Spotless, new building, right around the corner from Exit C Jordan MTR.

Not huge place but comfortable.
    Very friendly staff too.

When we first came to Hk we stayed in Harbourview horizon in hung hom. We paid $14,500 for a two bedroom apartment. They have shuttle buses every 15 minutes to tst and it is a 5 minute walk to the star ferry terminal as another option for travelling to work.

Mat likes this.

Gold Coast also has serviced apartments - yes - 35 min bus ride into Central, but as others have said, you are looking for something that does not exist. Also you could try the royal view hotel - they do apartments on various terms and have a shuttle bus to TST and Tsuen Wan to connect with the MTR. But - you're coming to HK. One of the most expensive cities in the world to live. You have to decide where you need to compromise - for me it was distance; for others it is size or budget. We are all different.

Try Ovolo/Abeo in Aberdeen (Shek Pai Wan Road) - its a bit further away but only a short bus-ride into Central everyday. According to their site, they have 200-300 sqft starting at $13k.
    Ovolo Serviced Apartments

You could try Luard on the Park in Wanchai - run by Man Hing Hong Management they start around $15k a month and you are an easy tram/bus/MTR ride from Central

5 Luard Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong
    Rent Range: HK$15,900 and up/month
    Unit Size: 320 - 630 sqft.
    Tel: (852) 8202 3377
    Fax: (852) 2575 2377
    E-mail:[email protected]

Bit more expensive on Hollywood Road but still worth a try is Platinum Platinum Apartment - The location is great, but you will only get a smaller unit for $15k - assuming prices have not gone up too much.

You might like to also give a call to Harbour Plaza North Point Serviced Suites.
    Harbour Plaza North Point. Its not super close to Central but for me, living in the heart of Soho and working 5 minutes walk away can feel a bit claustrophobic after a while.

Good luck.

You can try Bishop Lei, but you'll have to call them to find out what rate they'll offer you. Its very centrally located, but I do recall the rooms being fairly small.

There's also the Wesley in Wanchai, which is more transparent about their rates. Hang Lung Properties Limited

A lot of people I know stay at the Y-Loft when they're here short-term. They're more like a hostel than a service apartment, but the rooms are probably the best size of the three I mentioned. It's located off the Chai Wan MTR. You can call them directly at 3721 8989. Good luck!

HUNGHOM: HarbourFront Horizon

for 13K or aorund you can get up to 650/700sqf and it's only 15mn Star Ferry ride from Central....much better than a shoe box on HK island imho...

Quote Originally Posted by AmyHubb:
    When we first came to Hk we stayed in Harbourview horizon in hung hom. We paid $14,500 for a two bedroom apartment. They have shuttle buses every 15 minutes to tst and it is a 5 minute walk to the star ferry terminal as another option for travelling to work.
    Second this choice. V convenient and much cheaper (for the size you get) than most places on HK Island

Moving, I like GC too but 35 minutes to central is not the average (its more when you are luck)...it's more 45/50 minutes ;-)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast