Like Tree1Likes

Tseung Kwan O: Metro City, good/bad/ugly?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I stay near Metrotown and so far smell hasn't been a problem, in fact there are very few occassions where there was a stench in the air and I couldn't tell if it's from the landfill across the bay or the digging in front of TKO station. Might be different around LOHAS park, dunno.

There are some plus points to stay here:
    - Reasonable rent, in particular compared to HK island
    - Yet good public transport, especially if you stay around Tiu Keng Leng station (2 MTR lines, one to Kowloon side, one to HK island; bus depot); it takes around 30min to Central or Mongkok
    - Less crowded than HK island, with dedicated bicycle lanes and (mostly) obstruction-free sidewalks
    - Lot's of newish estates to choose from, and you might even find an apartment with an open, nice view
    - Convenient for your daily shopping needs with more than enough supermarkets around (incl. Taste in Hang Hau)

Last edited by Raccon; 27-11-2010 at 11:20 PM.

Only certain areas smell. Right by the Edge mall, and LOHAS Park can be pretty bad on certain days.

To avoid all of TKO because one or two small areas can sometimes smell like garbage is really horrible advice, and you should just ignore it.

The reason I'd avoid TKO is not because of smell, which I've never noticed in PoLam area anyway, is because the place is devoid of any soul whatsoever. Yes there are shops, yes there are cycle paths, yes there are tall high rises - lots of them and that in a nutshell is it.

The 2 things it has going for it are number 1 - transport, and number 2 - transport. MTR to the island are quick and regular and links to Kwun Tong line Kowloon side as well. And at weekends you can get the hell out into the close by country parks via the many buses and mini buses in the area. Cos apart from eating, sleeping and showering you'd want to get out of there as much as you can.
    Posted via Mobile Device

bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    The reason I'd avoid TKO is not because of smell, which I've never noticed in PoLam area anyway, is because the place is devoid of any soul whatsoever. Yes there are shops, yes there are cycle paths, yes there are tall high rises - lots of them and that in a nutshell is it.
    So what are the alternatives, considering rental cost and transportation options?

Thanks guys for your feedback. I take that as an "avoid"! Had an opportunity to rent from my relatives, but you guys are right, it's not the best as it's far from Central. Also, having read other forums regarding sports (cycling and Netball) , there are a lot more going on over on HK island.

Any tips on good estate agents to search for a flat please? Thanks!

Area's that might be worth considering if living/working on the Island with a meagre rental budget are...

Kennedy Town ( Western District )
    Sheung Wan: at the Aberdeen Street end, a short walk from Staunton street and the mid Levels escalator.

You might be able to get a walk up with a roof terrace in Happy Valley if your budget is around $15 ~ $18K..

Tin Hau, Quarry Bay, Fortress Hill, Taikoo Shing & North Point might be options in and around the $12 - $15K 500FT ish or less rental market. The closer you get to Chai Wan, generally speaking, the lower the rent..

Also consider Discovery Bay & Park Island as they both have direct connect ferries to Central. 20 - 30 minutes trip.You'll get a much larger place with a far superior view/environment, minus the washing lines, out there, for similar money.

Last edited by Skyhook; 29-11-2010 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamlay
    Really, I've never noticed it in 2 years (the reek that is). You ever actually been to TKO?
    Never noticed either, in 8 years !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2