Like Tree3Likes

Landlord sent 1 month notice

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

have to mention, that the landlord is a Chinese who lived in the UK for a long time. So he must definitely know how important Christmas is and that most expats leave during that time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    I wuold never rent you a flat.....seriously...
    Changing locks is just good practice when renting (and should be done when moving in). Staying on in violation of the tenancy agreement is not, of course.

If the tennant knew that it was a 1+1 deal which was up for renewal during the holiday period, then all this should have been clarified way in advance. It's not the landlords obligation to consider that his tennant might be leaving for the xmas holidays.

They should have contacted the landlord in early Nov. and asked if the rental would continue for the extra year as they would be travelling during Dec.

Mat likes this.

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by beachball
    Changing locks is just good practice when renting (and should be done when moving in). Staying on in violation of the tenancy agreement is not, of course.
    I was talking in reference to moving'statement.
    Obvioulsy changing locks when you move in is not an issue.....

Quote Originally Posted by bdw
    I agree that a reasonable landlord should show consideration and respect under different types of circumstances, and in the end they did.

But the rest of your post doesnt make sense. First say how important western NY is, then you go on to say that landlords would never do this during chinese NY (thereby implying that WNY is not important here and CNY is). So which one is it? Are you saying western NY is important amongst the locals or not?

So if in America, an American landlord terminates the lease on a Chinese tenant in February, then is the American landlord a lowlife scumbag that everyone is making this landlord here to be?
    Nothing to do with racial background. one could be chinese but with western attitude and mentality. you're missing the point. christmas and new year are still widely considered as important holidays here in hong kong. Unless HK stops celebrating them then I rest my case.

During this time of the year naturally a lot of people/families (from all walks of life) would be planning their holiday just as most locals do amid CNY. so i reckon that's just fair

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4