Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dumbdonkey

Nasty landlord - Need Advice!

Closed Thread

Nasty landlord - Need Advice!

I thin I gotta problem here and appreciate peoples advice.

My tenancy expired 30 Nov 2010. Landlord and I agreed to extend for another year till Nov 2011. I signed my part and I never received my copy with his signature.
    A couple of days before the expiry, he asked whether a couple of potential buyers can view the flat. I'm like what for we have an agreement. He's like "until I sign and return your copy we don't have an agreement"

Like an idiot I let the direct debit go through - so rent is paid till end Dec. Now I'm stressed coz I dont have an agreement and he still wants to arrange buyers to view the flat. I try and dodge these requests by saying Im not home at those times.

If things prolong should I withhold Jan's rent? Is it wrong to live in a property without extended T/A?

Not exactly true. I assumed the ll received the new rent for dec and did not return it to you. Your contract is considered renewed even with a verbal agreement. Keep copies of the money transaction.

TKShing likes this.

Cheers DD. yeah he hasn't returned anything back to me, although I am paying the lesser rent compared to the newly agreed one.

he has to give you a 12 month notice to leave the property in Hong Kong a verbal contract is as good as a written if he acts funny you can object from any buyers to view the apartment & at the same time you can Challenge him in court for not returning you the signed agreement copy
    As per the law any agreement less than 2 years can be in verbal no need to sign any documents

check for tenancy Law in Hong Kong you can search on google

you should pay the rent you both agreed on. do you have that in writing, like an email? i would pay the difference for dec too if you want your agreement to stick.

if you dont pay the agreed rent than you dont have an agreement.

heres my experience. our tenant did pay the new rent but refused to sign a new agreement. after 3 months on the new rent, he said he is leaving and wanted his deposit back. we didnt pay him back and he left as he has a new apartment.

took us to court. tenant lost as the judge considered paying new rent is a confirmed agreement. paid our legal fees and a bit more.

i think you should pay the new rent to make the agreement binding. Keep your payment receipt. you could remind the landlord that you have contract and will not move out as that is on fixed term. if you move out or let the potential buyers to see the flat, that is just a favour to landlord. in normal tenancy contract has terms saying you own the right to use the apartment without being disturbed.