Like Tree1Likes

Affordable accomodation for exchange student in cityu

Closed Thread

Affordable accomodation for exchange student in cityu

Hello, i was wondering if anyone could give me any suggestions on affordable places to rent over a six month period, or tips on how to search for such places. Although city university does offer on-campus accomodation, i would prefer not to be in a twin share room. City university of hong kong is located in kowloon tong and i've read that its a bit more affluent than other areas so accomodation might be a bit pricey for a student.I would just like to have an apartment that is in the kowloon area. So far i've searched up on geoexpat and looked at other sites online however most of adverts are for places on hong kong island. I'm not looking for a large apartment, just a studio apartment with a bed and a small bathroom will do. My upper limit on what i would spend on rent every month is around 7000 HKU. I'll be going over to hong kong soon for a short holiday so it would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me some suggestions so that i could visit the places beforehand.

Hong Kong property, real estate, condo, homes for sale , rent & buy - GoHome.com.hk

You can check this site out for inspiration though you'll be better off doing footwork once you're in HK. It really shouldn't be that difficult to find a place for 7K a month. A floor of a village house is sometimes around that price and it's around 700sq ft which is more than you need. The challenge might be to find someone willing to rent for 6 months...

The other option is to flat share...

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of getting a look at the newspaper there for advertisements as there may be more options than what i can find online. Also 700 sq ft is much more than i need, do you think that a much smaller apartment, 200sq ft or less, in kowloon could be rented for much cheaper? or is 7k a month considered basebottom budget?

Newspaper are not really the way to go in HK. You pick an area that suits you and you hit the pavement. Most people either use agents or word of mouth. Any neighborhood will have a number of agencies. You pop in and have a look, tell them what you are looking for and they'll take you around to have a look. The fee is usually half a month's rent...

7K is low but far from being at the bottom, I was just giving you an example of what you could get for that price. You can get very small flats for a smaller price...For example, if you did a search in Hung Hom on the website I gave you, you would find 4 small flats advertised for less than 5K/month. Never settle for the price asked and always negotiate. Of course, you're not in a very good position because you only want 6 months and most landlord won't want that because of the agent's commission.

You might want to consider flat shares, you could get something nice for 5K, have your own room and a lot more space. There are a number of websites with lots of ads...

better if consider living in taiwai for that budget, much larger/better apartment unless you dun mind the tiny places ( around 150-200 sq ft) parts of sham shui po, tokwawan, kwun tong

if you are just looking for a small 200 sq ft studio apartment, HK$7000 is plenty.

I would suggest somewhere in Prince Edward or Mongkok because it is very convenient to Kowloon Tong and to pretty much anywhere else if you want to travel in Kowloon or Hong Kong Island.

During your short holiday, just go up from the MTR station, and go into a nearby estate agent and tell them your budget and expectations.

7k should be enough...

I usu. placed safety as my 1st criteria while I rent a flat...therefore, my personal preference would be avoiding MK, Yau Ma Tei and some areas in prince edward and SSP...

Hung Hom, pls double check the location if you will be facing the "HOTEL"

Feel free to let me know which district you plan to live and hopefully I can offer some suggestions to you.

I am from CityU too but am a local student.
    I would also suggest Hung Hom. Its convenient to go to both CityU and the heart of Hong Kong. MongKok/ ShumShuiPo/ YauMaTei, those areas are really nasty........

If you need help for accommodation or anything about your school life in HK, just send me a message. I ll try my best to help you out as a Cityu schoolmate