Like Tree6Likes

Tsuen Wan accommodation for expat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mat

If you check the recent transaction at Hanley Villa a 970 sqf went for 13.5K so within your budget

There are also other estates in the area dont only focus on one of course.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    In my experience the estimates on the MTR journey planner (whence those figures came) include a generous allowance for waiting at interchange stations.
    If you break the journey up as Tsuen Wan to Lai King and then Lai King to Hong Kong it gives 9 and 13 minutes respectively which is 22 minutes. So it doesn't include waiting time.

Eh? You might want to think that through again.

Mat

Eh? You might want to think that through again.
    Actually if you go on the MTR website and select:
    Tseun Wan - Lai King it lists 9 mn
    Lai King - Hong Kong it lists 13 mn

But as mentionned this is purely rethorical and nobody really cares, the main statement is still valid, TW is not far off Central (unless half an hour is considered far)
    Last edited by Mat; 12-01-2011 at 11:46 AM.
    Skyhook likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Actually if you go on the MTR website and select:
    Tseun Wan - Lai King it lists 9 mn
    Lai King - Hong Kong it lists 13 mn
    Indeed, but unless you are claiming that you have to wait longer for a train at Lai King if you are connecting than if you are starting your journey there I don't see how the assertion (by chimo) that 22min does not include waiting time stands up.

I agree the point that Tsuen Wan is not far from Central timewise remains valid.

Indeed, but unless you are claiming that you have to wait longer for a train at Lai King if you are connecting than if you are starting your journey there I don't see how the assertion (by chimo) that 22min does not include waiting time stands up.

I agree the point that Tsuen Wan is not far from Central timewise remains valid.
    You said "In my experience the estimates on the MTR journey planner (whence those figures came) include a generous allowance for waiting at interchange stations. "

That was what my reply to.
    I'll spell it out for you.
    9 mins from doors close at Tseun Wan station till doors open at Lai King.
    13 mins from doors close at Lai King till doors open at Hong Kong station.
    So MTR corp does not include a generous allowance for waiting at interchange stations. It assumes as soon as you get to Lai King a train will be there.

The West Rail line is also a very fast line to get to TST and connections to the island if needed. We timed it as 12 mins from Austin to TWW. If you don't work in Central, there's really not much need to go there, imho. I'd look at places up the coast from Tsuen Wan - Ting Kau has already been mentioned, there is also Sham Tseng - a little further along; and then Gold Coast and the whole Sui Lam area after that. All are nice, much cheaper than the other side (ie the central side), with mountain and beach access and easy buses to Tsuen Wan.

you could also look at tsing yi. there are ample minibuses to tsuen wan and taxis are plentiful and would be about $20-25 depending on where in tsuen wan you are going.

I do the Tsuen Wan to HK station trip on a frequent basis (3 times a week on average) and the journey times between Tsuen Wan-Lai King-HK stations posted are correct, but the waiting time at Lai King station can range from 0 min (meaning train to HK station is waiting), 3 min or 7 min. So, total transaction time ranges from 22 min, 25 min to 29 min depending upon how long you have to wait for the train.

Quote Originally Posted by chimo
    You said "In my experience the estimates on the MTR journey planner (whence those figures came) include a generous allowance for waiting at interchange stations. "

That was what my reply to.
    I'll spell it out for you.
    9 mins from doors close at Tseun Wan station till doors open at Lai King.
    13 mins from doors close at Lai King till doors open at Hong Kong station.
    So MTR corp does not include a generous allowance for waiting at interchange stations. It assumes as soon as you get to Lai King a train will be there.
    My understanding of the timing on the MTR journey planner is that it includes a allowance for waiting time. Certainly I often find the journey takes less time than that on the MTR planner, occasionally a couple of minutes more. I take it as the average "platform to platform" time, not the "doors open" to "doors open" time.
    Last edited by PDLM; 12-01-2011 at 05:20 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast