Negotiating with real estate agents?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

"Forcing you to increase the offer..." What stops you from walking away? No one can force you unless you let them.

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    "Forcing you to increase the offer..." What stops you from walking away? No one can force you unless you let them.

What I meant was if they came back with a counter offer we would then amend our offer - generally how negotiations work. If the land lord was not aware of this then the agency could really do all negotiations and only present an offer that they are satisfied with to the owners.

Also, we werent asked to provide any down payment with our offer - I hear this is supposed to be standard procedure. True or false?

Quote Originally Posted by lil fish:
    Also, we werent asked to provide any down payment with our offer - I hear this is supposed to be standard procedure. True or false?
    False. You only pay when you sign something.

May I ask when that happened? Maybe that's because of the soft market at that time

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    I started at 15% and they took it straight away! I should have started at 20% but it was a new building, I was the first to negotiate a lease so I think they were a bit more willing to get someone in. I know new tenants pay higher than I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Even if you write down 50% you can still at the end not pay the 50% but agree putting neg can help
    No. If you sign a contract to pay the standard 50% one month rent you are contractually obliged.

Just pay up for rental agreements.

If you're buying, it's totally up to you. 1% for a 15mil place is just out of order. If you like the place, say to the agent you are not gonna pay 1%. Give them a figure and have witnesses or get it filmed.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidTC:
    Just pay up for rental agreements.

If you're buying, it's totally up to you. 1% for a 15mil place is just out of order. If you like the place, say to the agent you are not gonna pay 1%. Give them a figure and have witnesses or get it filmed.
    Not so. If you register with an agent you will be asked to sign a contract agreeing to pay them the 1% if a sale is made on any property introduced to you by them. You cannot finesse that agreement afterwards.