Discovery Bay

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Discovery Bay

We are moving to Hong kong this year and would like to live in Discovery Bay, 5 of the schools we have applied to are reachable from there.

Can you all give me the highs and lows of living there i know no cars are allowed, how do you get your chopping home? questions like that any info would be great

Quote Originally Posted by jojoad:
    chopping home?
    With a knife and a chopping board :P

On DB you have a big park n shop or whatever it's called. You can have a golf cart on DB but very pricey, else you have some mini-van as taxi you can use to bring back your shopping.

supermarkets deliver same day (except for perishables)

How old are you kids and how do you define 'reachable'?

The only areas I define as reachable from DB is Central (nice relaxing ferry ride), Tung Chung and the airport. Going anywhere else is a pain.

Last edited by bdw; 21-01-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jojoad:
    We are moving to Hong kong this year and would like to live in Discovery Bay, 5 of the schools we have applied to are reachable from there.

Can you all give me the highs and lows of living there i know no cars are allowed, how do you get your chopping home? questions like that any info would be great
    What made you choose DB? What five schools are reachable from there? If you want easy access, forget DB. Have a look at it on Wiki for ongoing problems with developer. You're at the mercy of the limited transport network - Kids + New Territories + No car = nightmare IMO.

i lived in db for over 6 years and still miss it. i loved it. the community was so friendly and i didn't find it all that inconvenient myself.

I'm sure I've seen the Caramel Tim Tams in Olivers (Prince's Building, Central) and Fusion (Discovery Bay in case you find yourself over there).

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i lived in db for over 6 years and still miss it. i loved it. the community was so friendly and i didn't find it all that inconvenient myself.
    Well thats because you now live in probably the one place in all of HK that is even more inconvenient. (The middle of SK country park)

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    Cara, I think (if I have my math correctly) you didnt have any kids (or they were very small) when you were in DB. Very nice indeed for that time. Having school age kids in DB, especially if you cannot afford or just get into the local ones, is a huge pain.

HC

my eldest was 2.5 and my youngest was 6m when we left db. but, i would go back in a heartbeat if circumstances allowed. and yes, i would most likely make use of the local gov't school, Wei Lun, if we moved back.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast