How quiet is a Village House?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question How quiet is a Village House?

I hate apartments here in Canada because you can always here the people above you walking around and the noise from the flats beside you. We are looking at renting/buying a flat in a village house when we move to HK. At least in a village house there is no one beside you but what about the noise from above? We are looking at the G/F and 2nd floor units. I worry about all the stairs for the 2nd floor unit but then I worry more about the noise living in the G/F.

Can anyone comment?

Yep they're noisy as hell. There are very rules as to when you can and cannot do DIY drilling and wall demolishing. I would buy the whole house for the peace of mind.

And the outside noise will not be too peaceful either!

Barking dogs, crickets chirping at all hours of the evening etc etc.

Personally I'd get the top two floors if I was you and also less likely to be burgled as well unlike on the ground floor.

top floor will be hot in the summer, but at least you would get the extra roof space.

You also get a lot more mosquitos in village areas. Also depends on the village location. Some of them have now been encroached upon by new roads and will be just as noisy as anywhere built up.

I live in an apartment complex in the NT and it is really quiet, away from any main roads. The only noise we have had recently is the ubiquitous tile shuffling of mahjong players on the odd day over CNY. But even then once the windows are closed the sound of that is minimal and last week was pretty quiet. The rest of the time it is very quiet.

Well...the build construction is really the key to noise. We're living in an old Chinese building smack middle of Causeway Bay and our flat (4th floor) is totally quiet. This old building came with very thick walls which makes a huge difference. Most of the newer flats we visited before this one were much more noisy. Also, another example, my bro used to live in one of the new flats on Park Island which was very noisy indeed (granted, he had bad luck w/ the neighbours too).

Try visiting your new place early evening (most families/kids should be home, plus you'll get a feel for any rush-hour traffic) and check the noise inside. Otherwise I agree w/ the other posters...upper floor should be more quiet (and less chance of burglery). Like Disco said, if you can afford it, get the whole house.

You would probably have to use bottled gas, have poor mobile phone reception and no access to NOW tv - oh uhmm that's a good thing!

I live on the g/f of a village house, there are way to many mosquitoes, ants, geckos and all other creepy crawlies to mention.

The noises coming around you depends on how often your neighbours keeps coming and going during the day.

If you go for the g/f, you always to double-secure the place due to any unwanted burglaries.

Quote Originally Posted by discobay:
    You would probably have to use bottled gas, have poor mobile phone reception and no access to NOW tv - oh uhmm that's a good thing!
    Do they at least have flushing water out there in the boonies or do you have to use a compost toilet ?
    Last edited by nina_70; 26-02-2007 at 09:53 PM.

It's OK they have piped water for drinking and washing unlike Borat's home country.

WOW. So many answers

I never expected so many answers so fast. I guess that is because it's evening now in HK whereas I am just starting work.

My husband & I are planning our retirement in HK and we are looking at the village houses in the villages behind Mui Wo on Lantau Island. Our favourite place is actually a 2-story place in Silvermine Village but I haven't seen any of those types on the real estate websites to get an idea of price.

I don't think traffic would be an issue as I never see any cars actually in there but I never thought about bugs. Loopy Loop you made me shudder. Yuck bugs.

I also never thought about burgleries on the G/F.

I was looking on the weekend at the high rise complexes in NT and it seems that you get a bit more for the dollar but its so out there. We want to be able to walk to stores, markets, restaraunts, etc. That's why we like Mui Wo.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast