House Share

House Share

Do people on this forum look for house share? It's far less common in HK than back in UK, and the feedback from my local friends is that other locals are untrustworthy, and difficult to live with. Anyone had any experience as I am considering to look for a housemate to share rent and bills and if it's different to when I was in HK, then I don't want the complications.

hey, i don't know anything about untrustworthy locals (that seems like a bit of a generalisation to me) but i know what you mean about the differences between the uk and here. i like sharing a flat and think it's a great way to meet new people but craigslist is very impersonal (they only list info about the flat and nothing about themselves). that's because it's usually agents advertising. also, don't bother with easyroommate.com because it's a complete scam - you can post info for free but have to pay to make contact with people.

your best bet is to post on here, or actually sometimes in the classified section there are individuals advertising. good luck!

either HK people are just naturally untrustworthy or they have good cause to be..

i think its not as common here simply because the average flat is tiny. you could get a 1 bed/studio (325-400 sft) for the cost of sharing a flat (600-800 sft) with another person, so it doesn't really make sense.
    that being said, i do know a few people who have flatmates, but it's usually friends of friends or through word of mouth.

Yes that's true for small flats in big appartment complexes, how about village houses though? Can each share a floor, living room and bedroom..

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Village houses are often split into flats by floor, i.e. 3-storey village house = 3 flats.