Like Tree7Likes

shock to the system - causeway bay vs hung hom

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

shock to the system - causeway bay vs hung hom

Hi..
    I came on here a while back and got some useful replies. At the time I was just thinking about moving to HK. I arrived yday and am now here for 2yrs poss.

Im working now in TST ..moving to Kowloon Bay later this yr. Rental budget up to 20k max and I need 2 beds.

Just went on a flathunting trip today on HK Island with my agent..and it was a SHOCK! Most of the flats were awful - bad kitchen facilities/awful bathrooms/bad smells/small size for major cost. Maybe Im a snob but im staying in a lovely (tiny) temp place and I was hoping for a nicer finish from my permanent home.

The only two decent ones I saw were one in Kennedy Town (too far and no MTR)..and then one in Causeway Bay. The Causeway Bay flat was pretty decent and v large but still only 1 bed..

Im also looking next wk at Kowloon side - a friend recommended Harbour View or Harbour Green.

Anyone got any strong preferences over Causeway Bay? Or will I find better, more modernised aptmts in kowloon?

Bit worried as CNY will set me back a week and my temp place is v expensive!

Thanks all

The island is more expensive than Kowloon. There are nice and nasty flats on both sides. It would seem daft to live on the Island-side if you are working in TST and later Kowloon Bay! Looking on kowloon side should save you money and time. No specific recommendations - just be clear with the agent what you want and walk out if they show you things that don't meet your specs!

Personally I'd be tempted to look north to somewhere like Shatin and then commute down in each direction - but I prefer the NT as the costs are substantially lower for the same size.

Alternatively, Sai Kung or Clearwater Bay might suit - they are cheaper and have some lovely places. No MTR but plenty of buses.

(General comment, you don't need an MTR. Buses are just as good and more frequent, so don't limit yourself to places next to the MTR).

Last edited by MovingIn07; 02-02-2011 at 04:47 PM.

I live in West Kowloon and for your budget you can get plenty of nice places in and around the Olympic area. Harbour Green as you've mentioned, Central Park etc.

i think you should look at tin hau/fortress hill too

there is a minibus from sai kung to kowloon bay (telford gardens), to choi hung (only a stop or two from the mtr) and to mongkok (again, only a couple of stops from TST).... maybe a possibility for you.

you could also try some place like Laguna City, which is technically Kwun Tong, but you exit from Lam Tin MTR station (phase 4~ the newest of them at about 12 years old or so), there is also an express bus to TST!... i lived in a lovely flat in LC about 10 years ago. it had a fantastic view of hk island over the water, no other highrises to be seen out of my living room window or out of the two bedroom windows. 2 bed flat, 699' (if i remember), beautiful hardwood floors, a clubhouse with tennis and lovely pool etc. back then, our rent was only $12k/month... it should be less than that now so for $20k, you'd easily be able to get a 3 bedroom and still have $ to spare!

Last edited by carang; 02-02-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Try a Penthouse Shanty...

Can't really help, suffice to say that my preference is for a clean apartment. I'm sure this helps! Good luck...

Agreed with DeletedUser

I used to live in Sai Kung and it was a freaking nightmare getting to Central in the mornings waiting for a bus to get to hang hau etc. Let alone trying to get home late at night
    Posted via Mobile Device

I work in the ICC building (west kowloon near TST) and lived in Hung Hom which is about 10 mins by taxi but about 40 mins by bus! Too far away for my liking.... I suggest the like of Olympic or Jordan/Yau Ma Tei for renting or a bit further out to get a better and larger place and on the MTR line and close to buses.

yeah... she's not going to central... she's going to TST and in a few months to Kowloon Bay...

have you considered Ma On Shan? my estate have free shuttle bus to diamond hill every 5 - 10 mins in the morning, journey time is about 15 - 20 mins

the best part is I am only paying small amount for an en-suite room with a nice view.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast