Like Tree7Likes

Where to live on a modest budget?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Areas that Bettie could consider that have easy access to the airport, that are within her budget are:

Tsing Yi
    Park Island
    Tsuen Wan /Discovery Park
    Siu Lam & So Kwun Wat ( Gold Coast )
    Sham Tseng
    Discovery Bay
    Tung Chung

Quote Originally Posted by Bettie:
    ok, thanks-
    Where is nicer - Discovery Bay or Tung Shung? I'm thinking in terms of surroundings and options for dining/shopping. I'm not much of a night life person.
    if you want dining and shopping forget Tung Chung - it's got no soul whatsoever. The only shopping is the outlet mall there and dining is almost zip. Gold Coast, which I mentioned, is fine for dining but useless for shopping (other than the supermarket). Discovery Bay is not exactly a shopping mecca either but has decent dining. In fact for decent shopping you'd probably be better off nearer one of the major centres. You won't get much for 15k on HK island (the main spot for dining and shopping) but shatin, as cara mentioned, is still probably not a bad option now the new freeway/bridge has opened up it's pretty quick to the airport and not a bad neighbourhood.

If you want mountain/sea yet close to Shopping you can also look at Mount Haven in Tsing Yi

otherwise all areas listed by Skyhook are good.

Skyhook likes this.

thanks - as for shopping I'm thinking mainly food/groceries

Quote Originally Posted by Bettie:
    I'll be moving to Hong Kong in april/may and will be working in China 3-4 days a week. I'm single, no kids and my budget is around 15k per month.
    I'd really like to have a view - sea/mountains and good quality bath, don't need more than 1 bedroom. as I'll be travelling a lot it should be convenient to the airport train, supermarket, gym.
    I'd really appreciate any advice., thanks.
    15k a modest budget? You could have a 2 bedroom apartment in a village house near Tuen Mun with a mountain view for 7000p/m or a modern apartment at the Sherwood with 2 bedrooms and mountain views for 7500. They also have a gym at their clubhouse along with swimming pool and other usual luxuries.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    or a modern apartment at the Sherwood with 2 bedrooms and mountain views for 7500. They also have a gym at their clubhouse along with swimming pool and other usual luxuries.
    Hi Bryant,

Can you let me know where is this place, (Sherwood) is it in Tuen Mun? it sounds good

The Sherwood

Panoramio - Photo of 藍地 豫豐花園 The Sherwood, Lam Tei, Tuen Mun

Lovely and modern 2 and 3 bedroom apartments with mountain views are available for rent from 7500 p/m. Integral Wellcome and 7-11 and close to Lam Tei Main Street shopping, Fu Tei Market, Lingnan University, Lam Tei Light Rail and Siu Hong MTR (West Rail). By car, 5 minutes from Tuen Mun and 10 minutes from Yuen Long, great access to the shopping experience that is Shenzhen on the bus from Yuen Long, etc, etc, etc.

Close to Wetland Park nature reserve, Butterfly Beach and the famed seafood of Lau Fan Shan. Fishing, swimming, hiking, even horseriding are activities readily available to the residents of this unhurried and unspoilt corner of the New Territories.

For further details please PM me with your contact information and I will contact you directly.
    bak875 likes this.

The Sherwood is a bit far from the airport though. Is there a resident shuttle bus? If I were the OP I'd be looking for places around that area (as many have suggested) but that have an airport shuttle bus for quick and easy access to the airport. Tsing Yi is much more built up but access to the airport is fantastic (if somewhat expensive at 60 HKD a go on the Airport Express!).

There's also not that much western dining in Tuen Mun or Yuen Long - some, yes and lots of local choices, but I'd stick with Gold Coast over the towns for the expat supermarket, dining options and airport shuttle bus. 2 bed appts in Gold Coast were about 8k last time I asked someone (not the ones officially rented, but the ones you can get from the estate agent down the road). the official ones are more like 12k

Last edited by MovingIn07; 05-02-2011 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english:
    this unhurried and unspoilt corner of the New Territories.
    Tuen Mun?

If the OP is mainly looking for grocery shopping then Tung Chung has a large great Taste supermarket and so has Tsing Yi.
    Tsing Yi (Maritime Square) has a good range of shops including Marks and Spencer and as for getting to the airport - if you don't want to spend the money on the Airport Express, just use MTR to Tung Chung and then S1 bus to the airport terminal. All works very smooothly and is cheaper.
    Best idea is to spend a few days travelling around and getting a feel for a few places. Everyone is looking for different things and what suits one, doesn't suit another.
    Good Luck.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast