Like Tree7Likes

Where to live on a modest budget?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

If you're working in Fuzhou then stay close to the airport. Fuzhou "international" airport is a basic airport by basic standards and flight delays back to HK are more than common. You'll be wanting to get home as quickly as you can after landing.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    Tuen Mun?
    Yes - Tuen Mun, Hong Kong's green secret...

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    The Sherwood is a bit far from the airport though. Is there a resident shuttle bus? If I were the OP I'd be looking for places around that area (as many have suggested) but that have an airport shuttle bus for quick and easy access to the airport. Tsing Yi is much more built up but access to the airport is fantastic (if somewhat expensive at 60 HKD a go on the Airport Express!).

There's also not that much western dining in Tuen Mun or Yuen Long - some, yes and lots of local choices, but I'd stick with Gold Coast over the towns for the expat supermarket, dining options and airport shuttle bus. 2 bed appts in Gold Coast were about 8k last time I asked someone (not the ones officially rented, but the ones you can get from the estate agent down the road). the official ones are more like 12k
    eh? How can you say there is more western style dining at the Gold Coast than in Yuen Long? The restaurants at the Gold Coast are the usual overpriced American friendly excuse for drinking beer IMO. Which one do you prefer, the self service bbq, or the kebab shop! :-) Also, Taste in Tuen Mun is worlds ahead of the corner shop at the Gold Coast and the apartments at the Gold Coast are horrible. Look, if I lived on a boat, maybe I would live there, otherwise, it is a soulless blight. Always reminds me of Two Rocks near Yanchep in Perth, especially with the dolphins...

TungChung rent starts at 10k, as far as I know
    but it's the best option if you
    want to go to HK or TST from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM
    Tung Chung is convenient for the airport, and relatively cheap. It's a bit far (30+ minutes) from any nightlife, but that may or may not be an issue for you.

Just out of curiosity, what is your visa status in Hong Kong and China? Wouldn't it be easier to live in Fuzhou?
    Not sure how long you'll enjoy the weekly flights from here to Fuzhou! That seems like a brutal schedule and in my business I see many HK locals changing jobs as they hated that kind of travel schedule and looking for less travel. Will you be living in HK due to a visa issue?

Not sure you want to live where you will be working but this schedule seems tough. Why not live in Shanghai or Taipei even closer? Not sure of your visa options there.

We all have our biases here as to where to live based on our experience as you'd see by searching our posts. I see some flight crews live in my building or nearby in Sheung Wan where it is about one hour by bus to the airport bus but a good area to live in on HK Island when they are not working. Close to gymns. A mix of very old buildings and up to date ones. Your budget works in this area too.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16
    We all have our biases here as to where to live based on our experience as you'd see by searching our posts.
    This is exactly right! All of us who have been here for a while have our own reasons for choosing where we want to live. Sometimes I think it must make it harder for people when they are presented with so much choice and argument for this or that area. My advice to anyone would always come here first and take a serviced apartment - spend some time looking around, it's the only way you'll know..
    MovingIn07 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    eh? How can you say there is more western style dining at the Gold Coast than in Yuen Long? The restaurants at the Gold Coast are the usual overpriced American friendly excuse for drinking beer IMO. Which one do you prefer, the self service bbq, or the kebab shop
    Other than Shaffi's (Indian) I have yet to find a decent non-Chinese restaurant in Yuen Long. If they exist that would be great - more choice for me - can you give details?

As for the GC restaurants - Resto's is a great choice for reasonable price "family" fare - I wouldn't have called it american but they can at least cook pasta al-dente until many of the others. Chilli and Spice has a huge range - chinese, thai and indian - it's very good. There is the japanese joint upstairs and the sushi store downstairs - for those who like Japanese (I don't). There is Med-stars for Italian (and they have a nice bar and outdoor eating area). Le Bistro is high quality French food - it's too "fancy" for me but absolutely not American-family style. Yes - Ebenezers is one of our favourites, but they do much more than kebabs. Their curry buffet on Wednesday nights for HKD89 is great value and really good curry (better than the day-to-day curries).
    And they you have the 4 or so restaurants at the hotel - of which Satay Inn is my favourite - it does REALLY GOOD Malaysian food, again, not too pricey either. The buffet in the hotel is very extensive and excellent quality (and too expensive for my tastes) and the Chinese restaurant downstairs has won awards but I found them abit snooty.

Then there is the italian place on the beach (but that's abit 'local-italian' if you know what I mean) and a couple of local places in the plaza and around too (not counting them as I was talking western).

So - a bit more than two americanised places. Have you been here more than once?
    Quote Originally Posted by bryant.english
    Also, Taste in Tuen Mun is worlds ahead of the corner shop at the Gold Coast .
    The "corner shop" is actually on two levels and carries a very expat-orienated range. But I agree, the Taste in Tuen Mun is great, and only 10 mins away.

Quote Originally Posted by Football16
    Not sure how long you'll enjoy the weekly flights from here to Fuzhou! That seems like a brutal schedule and in my business I see many HK locals changing jobs as they hated that kind of travel schedule and looking for less travel. Will you be living in HK due to a visa issue?

Not sure you want to live where you will be working but this schedule seems tough. Why not live in Shanghai or Taipei even closer? Not sure of your visa options there.

We all have our biases here as to where to live based on our experience as you'd see by searching our posts. I see some flight crews live in my building or nearby in Sheung Wan where it is about one hour by bus to the airport bus but a good area to live in on HK Island when they are not working. Close to gymns. A mix of very old buildings and up to date ones. Your budget works in this area too.
    I don't have visa problems, just tired of living in China, life's easier for Europeans in Hong Kong :-)
    I definitely want to live close to the airport but am hoping for scenery and a bit of charm as well...will also be going to Central and TST sometimes so easy access is a must. Maybe I'm asking for too much in one package, but it's worth a try...

Quote Originally Posted by Bettie
    I definitely want to live close to the airport but am hoping for scenery and a bit of charm as well....
    Tung Chung is completely devoid of charm (imho). DB has more charm - but most of HK is quite new and I (personally) associate charm with older places with character - which IS hard to find here! But there are many options that meet your requirements so the best advice is just to come and travel around and see what areas grab you.

Smile

As I said in my previous post - everyone is looking for something to suit them and what suits one doesn't suit another. I have never wanted to live in DB as I don't like the 'feel' there but I can see why others love the place.

I have lived in Tung Chung for over 5 years now and the whole family love it. It has changed a lot in that time and has a real mix of expat and local people. Facilities are great, transport is good (buses and MTR), grocery shopping is easy, and you get to look out over water or mountains. Parks, bike paths and walking is great around here.

Getting to airport, Central, and TST is easy.

Come and look around.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast