Like Tree1Likes

Rent Increase - notice required?

Closed Thread

Rent Increase - notice required?

Advice needed again please!

The lease for our apartment was signed on 28th Jan 2010, and stated that it could be terminated by either party by giving 1 months written notice after 28th Jan 2011. Our new landlord (apt sold on 3 months or so ago) wishes to increase our rent - fair enough, new rent negotiated and agreed last week.
    However, he wants it increased from 28th Jan - can he do this, or does he need to give us 1 months written notice?

Thank you again!

What's in your lease agreement? I would say for being fair that 1 month is required. If he is just giving you notice now and expect to be backdated then I don't think that's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    What's in your lease agreement? I would say for being fair that 1 month is required. If he is just giving you notice now and expect to be backdated then I don't think that's fair.
    The lease just mentions termination requiring 1 months written notice, no mention of rent variation. Was hoping that the same terms would apply for rent change

Quote Originally Posted by pudcat:
    The lease just mentions termination requiring 1 months written notice, no mention of rent variation. Was hoping that the same terms would apply for rent change
    Actually, I just read through my lease and it doesn't mention rent variation timeframe either!