Like Tree2Likes

Where to live on HK island??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to live on HK island??

Hey guys, getting a head start on my apartment hunt before moving to HK later this month with my girlfirend. Could really use your guidance. Here is what I am looking for:

1. Hong Kong Island
    2. Hope to be somewhere near an MTR station, as far east as North Point i think
    3. Budget approx. 8000 HKD (how big does that get me?)
    4. 1 bedroom, shower that is not on top of toilet
    5. Prefer to live in a local neighborhood, w/ open markets and cheap restuarants just around the block
    6. But a newer building with a gym/pool attached would be nice too (does not know if that is attainable with my budget)
    7. Not tooo noisy or too seedy - still in my 20s so I can still handle a little sketch

Let me know. Thanks in advance for your input.

If you don't want to look further East than North Point then probably North Point is your best bet. You're probably going to have to look at an older building without facilities at that budget though.

A good size one bedroom is around 500sq ft

For 8K you wont get a new building with Gym/pool on HK Island.

maybe you could get a one bedroom in a old building.

Griff, if you want this I suggest double your budget! And even that would still be the lower end of the market.

I looked at a place called Bayview Park in Chai Wan (yes, a bit far east for you) but ticks most of the boxes...outdoor pool, small fitness room, very local, but newer building (it really stands out among the grimy old factories around it), 5 mins walk to Chai Wan MTR, modern layout, but a few K more than your budget

Rent property Chai Wan | Rent Chai Wan Apartment – GoHome.com.hk

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by Griffeki16
    Hey guys, getting a head start on my apartment hunt before moving to HK later this month with my girlfirend. Could really use your guidance. Here is what I am looking for:

1. Hong Kong Island
    2. Hope to be somewhere near an MTR station, as far east as North Point i think
    3. Budget approx. 8000 HKD (how big does that get me?)
    4. 1 bedroom, shower that is not on top of toilet
    5. Prefer to live in a local neighborhood, w/ open markets and cheap restuarants just around the block
    6. But a newer building with a gym/pool attached would be nice too (does not know if that is attainable with my budget)
    7. Not tooo noisy or too seedy - still in my 20s so I can still handle a little sketch

Let me know. Thanks in advance for your input.
    No MTR (yet) but know ppl living in Kennedy town, relatively recent building (ie ~10 years), with Gym (no Pool), flat ~ 550 sqf, price ~ 9.5 to 10.5K

Mat

Quote Originally Posted by virago
    Griff, if you want this I suggest double your budget! And even that would still be the lower end of the market.
    I guess it is easier to lower one's expectation rather than doubling one's budget...
    virago and bookblogger like this.

Ok. So my expectations are low. Lets assume that Im looking for an older building (albeit with renovations). I uses to like in the hutongs in Beijing so i can hack it. I guess my main question is which neighborhood is best to live in for a young expat looking for a balance between convenience and local flare? Stretching from Sheung Wan to North Point....

The problem is 8K for HK island wont get you very much even if you include Sheung Wan and Kennedy Town. The flat will be small 350 sq ft maybe. You'll need a budget of 10K atleast for HK Island nowadays. Prices have gone up.

Better bet, NT someone mentioned Tuen Mun in another post.

Get off the Island. Easy. There's no really good reason to be there. Besides, if I recall your gf is in finance - well a fair number of the banks now have offices in Kowloon including the new finance centre over Kowloon station (I forget its name). For access to that anywhere on the tung chung line is fine. I'd wait until I knew where the office was before finalising housing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast