Living space advice for these "stats", any help is greatly appreciated!

Living space advice for these "stats", any help is greatly appreciated!

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could trouble anyone for some advice on places to live given my "stats". I am transferring to HK for work (more than just a short term thing) and am having a bit of trouble getting an idea of what would be a good place to live, and what I should be looking to spend.

I.....

-am a single guy in his early thirties with no kids
    -will work in Central
    -am looking for a place with a single bedroom (separate from rest of place)
    -don't need a huge place....500-600sq ft would be fine and may actually be large by HK standards (I'm from Toronto)
    -would like to be no more than 20mins commute to work/gym/entertainment

What amount of $$ should I be looking to spend? I know this is highly dependent on how close to central one is, but if I don't want to be any longer than 20mins away door-to-door to work, where should I focus? Midlevels, Wanchai, Sheung Wan, etc? I like having food / markets / coffee shops close by and bars/lounges/clubs/music/gyms within easy access as well, though I suspect that this might always be the case in HK to some degree or another.

Thanks for any input on places and cost estimates, very much appreciated by someone who is trying to get their head around living in HK!

I'd say somewhere between HK$12K and HK$30K depending on exactly where, how new the building is, whether it has its own clubhouse, pool, how well you bargain, etc.

You'd need to tell us a bit more precisely where in Central for us to be able to draw the "20 minute radius".

Last edited by PDLM; 14-02-2011 at 08:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    I'd say somewhere between HK$12K and HK$30K depending on exactly where, how new the building is, whether it has its own clubhouse, pool, how well you bargain, etc.

You'd need to tell us a bit more precisely where in Central for us to be able to draw the "20 minute radius".
    Thanks PDLM. I'd be very close to the Central MTR.

Really Central or actually Hong Kong Station, for example in Exchange Square or IFC? Many people call that "Central" but it's a 7-8 minute walk from the platform at Central Station so that makes the difference between being able to get from, say Taikoo, or just from Causeway Bay in your 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Really Central or actually Hong Kong Station, for example in Exchange Square or IFC? Many people call that "Central" but it's a 7-8 minute walk from the platform at Central Station so that makes the difference between being able to get from, say Taikoo, or just from Causeway Bay in your 20 minutes.
    good point. It is fairly close to the intersection of Chater rd. and Des Voeux rd., so away from IFC.

and I don't need any big frills really....I'll get a gym membership at a local gym. A building 1980 or newer would be fine I'm sure, not sure what that implies for $$$
    Thanks

my suggestion would be tin hau/fortress hill where you spend approx 12-18k for the above parameters and are in central in 15 mins