Like Tree17Likes

Dying in Serviced Apartment

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Loz_2
    If you hail from Melbourne I'd have thought you'd feel right at home in that gloomy apartment right?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Nope; for Melburnians to feel at home they need to be able to SEE all four seasons go around in a day

Kate from Oz, once upon a time (like 20+ years ago) I was stuck between flats for a few months and stayed in a suite at the hotel that is now called the Island Pacific (Sai Ying Poon). I don't know if they still have family suites, but it could be worth asking.

Thanks Oldtimer, have had a reply back on this one. A little further out than we'd hoped but they have availability, what looks like a great shuttle service and some other added bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kate from Oz
    Just looked at Royal View and you're right. Just that little bit to far for what we need at the moment.
    I live even further away yet work in Admiralty. if you can manage to get your head around travel, you can find much nicer, larger and cheaper places to live in HK, with fewer tower blocks for company. But it's a compromise and not for everyone.

The Royal View is about 15-20 minutes from Jordan or Mongkok on the red minibuses or 30 mins from Causeway Bay and Wan Chai (also on red minibuses). Central is harder.
    Last edited by MovingIn07; 16-02-2011 at 03:47 PM.

Unfortunately this one gives new meaning to the word gloomy. It needs to be seen to be understood.

Dark is an understatement. Turn the lights out in the middle of the day and you will bump into furniture kind of dark.

Like I said, it's clean, size wise it's great. It's just dark as hell.
    Why not name names, to help others?

Because we're still here.

You're scared of them?

Can anyone suggest other suitable serviced 2 bedroom apartments suitable for 2 couples.
    How can anyone suggest "other" if they don't know where this one is?
    Last edited by bookblogger; 16-02-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    I live even further away yet work in Admiralty. if you can manage to get your head around travel, you can find much nicer, larger and cheaper places to live in HK, with fewer tower blocks for company. But it's a compromise and not for everyone.

The Royal View is about 15-20 minutes from Jordan or Mongkok on the red minibuses or 30 mins from Causeway Bay and Wan Chai (also on red minibuses). Central is harder.
    Sorry, meant Parkview.

MovingIn07, we've travelled out as far as Sha Tin so far. MTR is great but it's a bit of a pain getting on and off trains, especially during peak hour which was just crazy.

Travel is not too bad if it's one continuous journey. Thinking of my husband more than myself on that one. He's the one who has to do it day in and day out. He works long hours and it's not unusual for him to be heading back at 10/11pm after entertaining business associates. Also does and extraordinary amount of travel so needing to have reasonably easy access to the airport.

We thought of Sai Kung for a while but read some reports about it not being entirely safe with regards to break-ins which had me a bit worried. Gold Coast is also not off the list either.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger
    You're scared of them?

How can anyone suggest "other" if they don't know where this one is?
    I'm not surprised you don't understand why
    Skyhook likes this.

Sorry, meant Parkview.

MovingIn07, we've travelled out as far as Sha Tin so far. MTR is great but it's a bit of a pain getting on and off trains, especially during peak hour which was just crazy.

Travel is not too bad if it's one continuous journey. Thinking of my husband more than myself on that one. He's the one who has to do it day in and day out. He works long hours and it's not unusual for him to be heading back at 10/11pm after entertaining business associates. Also does and extraordinary amount of travel so needing to have reasonably easy access to the airport.

We thought of Sai Kung for a while but read some reports about it not being entirely safe with regards to break-ins which had me a bit worried. Gold Coast is also not off the list either.
    You need to get off the MTR and onto the buses. In particular minibuses can be a very fast way to get around once you figure them out (do not underestimate the task of figuring them out though! This site is a good place to start for advice). Also a number of places have resident buses - these are even better - point to point and all seating with define timetables. (I use the Gold Coast Resident Buses all the time, the ones to the airport in particular are fantastic).

Too many expats don't explore far enough away when they first arrive and end up somewhere expensive for their first two years. If the company is paying I'm sure that's fine ... but if it's YOUR dosh perhaps not!

Ignore any warnings about safety. They are all relative. Relative to other countries EVERYWHERE in HK is as safe as houses. Thus the worst places here are better than most other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07
    You need to get off the MTR and onto the buses. In particular minibuses can be a very fast way to get around once you figure them out (do not underestimate the task of figuring them out though! This site is a good place to start for advice). Also a number of places have resident buses - these are even better - point to point and all seating with define timetables. (I use the Gold Coast Resident Buses all the time, the ones to the airport in particular are fantastic).

Too many expats don't explore far enough away when they first arrive and end up somewhere expensive for their first two years. If the company is paying I'm sure that's fine ... but if it's YOUR dosh perhaps not!

Ignore any warnings about safety. They are all relative. Relative to other countries EVERYWHERE in HK is as safe as houses. Thus the worst places here are better than most other countries.
    MovingIn thanks for the tip on the buses. I haven't really given them a go yet, but really should.

It is part company paying and part ourselves if we want something over and above the allowance.

We have put an offer in on something that I'd be VERY happy with. Love everything about it. It just fit us perfectly.

Still waiting on that one and haven't quite found anything else that jumps out as much as that one. Still exploring Sai Kung and Gold Coast as options but haven't landed on anything there yet. There is not much listed for Gold Coast at all on HongKongHomes.com

Are there any other sites worth visiting for more options?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast